Tiffany

So you know about this art form right; Stained Glass, it's pretty isn't it?, you see these painted glass mostly as windows like in a church depicting saints and christ, or in some houses as a decoration piece....i'm sure one of you watching this video/Reading This has a stain glass window in there house....no matter if your parents put it there, but today we're gonna learn about a artist known for his stain glass work that being Tiffany or his real name Louis Comfort Tiffany so let's get started.

(Who is Louis Comfort Tiffany?)

Louis Comfort Tiffany was an American artist and designer who worked in the decorative arts and is best known for his work in stained glass. He was associated with the Art Nouveau and Aesthetic movements, Tiffany designed stained glass windows and lamps, glass mosaics, blown glass, ceramics, jewelry, enamels, and metalwork.

And he was the first design director at his family company; Tiffany & Co. which was founded by his father Charles Lewis Tiffany.

(Creator of a New Art Form)

To many people, the word "Tiffany" signifies wealth and prestige. It means glittering jewels, beautiful stained glass, and an expensive jewelry establishment on New York City's posh Fifth Avenue. Louis Comfort Tiffany, however. Son of the founder of the jewelry business, Charles Lewis Tiffany, was far more than a man of wealth, During his lifetime he was a successful designer, painter, decorator and philanthropist, as well as a driving force behind a whole new art style.

Born in New York City on February 18th 1848, young Louis studied art at home and in Paris. By 1875, he had begun experimenting with different ways of coloring blown glass. Working out of his factory in Corona, New York, he produced a glass called "Favrile".

Unique and freely shaped, it had an iridescent quality and was often with metals with striking effect, From 1890 to about 1915, Tiffany's glass became prized the world over. It came back into fashion during the 1960s and remains popular today.

Innovation was the mark of Louis Tiffany and he expressed it in many ways. His floral jewelry became an important contribution to the Art Nouveau movement, which swept through Europe and America between 1890 and 1910.

Art Nouveau artists and crafts people rebelled against the imitation of old art forms, and they abhorred widespread use of precious stones in jewelry. Instead, Tiffany and others began working with new materials to create flowing, dramatic effects and symbolic forms.

Although he achieved great success as a glassmaker and designer of jewelry, Tiffany's most creative work was probably as a decorator, He designed the altar in the Cathedral of St. John the divine (New York City) and Chapel for the World's Columbian Exposition (Chicago, 1893).

President Chester A. Arthur, who was in office from 1881 to 1885, commissioned Tiffany to redecorate the reception rooms in the White House, And in 1911, Tiffany designed the magnificent, huge glass theater curtain at the Palacio de Bellas Lettres in Mexico City.

He also designed his own elegant estate in Long Island, New York, where he set up the Louis Comfort Tiffany foundation for Art Students, When the Tiffany home was sold in 1946, the proceeds were donated to the foundation's scholarship fund.

Tiffany remained active and creative throughout most of his long life, died in New York City on January 17th 1933, at the age of 84.

(The Tiffany Collections)

The Charles Hosmer Morse Museum of American Art in Winter Park, Florida, houses the world's most comprehensive collection of the works of Louis Comfort Tiffany, including Tiffany jewelry, pottery, paintings, art glass, leaded-glass windows, lamps, and the Tiffany Chapel he designed for the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago. After the close of the exposition, a benefactor purchased the entire chapel for installation in the crypt of the Cathedral of Saint John the Divine, New York in New York City.

As construction on the cathedral continued, the chapel fell into disuse, and in 1916, Tiffany removed the bulk of it to Laurelton Hall. After a 1957 fire, Hugh McKean (a former art student in 1930 at Laurelton Hall) and his wife Jeannette Genius McKean rescued the chapel, which now occupies an entire wing of the Morse Museum which they founded.

Many glass panels from Laurelton Hall are also there; for many years some were on display in local restaurants and businesses in Central Florida. Some were replaced by full-scale color transparencies after the museum opened.

A major exhibit at New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art on Laurelton Hall opened in November 2006. An exhibit at the New-York Historical Society in 2007 featured new information about the women who worked for Tiffany and their contribution to designs credited to Tiffany; the Society holds and exhibits a major collection of Tiffany's work.

(Ending)

And that's the History of Tiffany. I'll be explaining. I hope you love it and wish to see more of my story of america cards that I have from my collection explained in this video format and script ... .so see you next time bye.