National Geographic Society

Hello Everyone, Today will be going to some exploration with talking about a society all about education on the Geography aspect, they are even better at education then me and we get to learn why....but hey I love to make these videos, anyways this National Geographic Society from the Thought and Culture Section in Story of America Cards.

(What is the National Geographic Society?)

National Geographic Society (NGS for short) is a nonprofit scientific and educational organization and one of the biggest in the world starting in 1888 (135 years ago now).

Its interests are in geography, archaeology, and natural science and the promotion of environmental and historical conservation with the study of world culture and history and with a joint venture with The Walt Disney Company in National Geographic Partners the Society operates its own magazine, TV channels, a website, worldwide events, and other media operations.

(Exploration and Education)

When it was founded in Washington, D.C., in 1888, the National Geographic Society set forth as its goal; "The increase and diffusion of geographic knowledge".

The society's first president was Gardner Hubbard, a prominent Boston lawyer and partner of Alexander Graham Bell, inventor of the telephone.

Bell became president of the society in 1896 (He's most mainly the second president of the society), and in 1899 he hired Gilbert Grosvenor to take charge of the organization's new magazine the National Geographic.

Grosvenor became its editor a few years later, and held that post for more than half a century.

Under his leadership, the magazine pioneered the use of aerial, undersea, and wildlife photography, published detailed and accurate maps prepared by a staff of cartographers, and assigned writers to cover stories around the world.

These included articles as diverse as recreating the sea routes of the Polynesian islanders by canoe; the threatened wildlife and flora of the Florida Everglades; "boomtowns" in Northern Canada; and tree-ring dating as a method of historical investigation.

By 1906 the society, which was supported by membership fees and receipts from its publications, had become prosperous enough to provide special funds for research.

Its first grant of $1,000 helped support Robert Peary's expedition to the North Pole in 1909.

Another project supported by the society was that of Hiram Bingham, a Yale University professor, who uncovered the ruins of the last Inca stronghold----Machu Picchu---in the mountains of Peru in 1915. National Geographic later backed the polar explorations of Admiral Richard Byrd.

It was also a longtime contributor to the work of anthropologists Louis and Mary Leakey in East Africa in their attempts to trace the early beginnings of men.

In all, the Society has supported or promoted more 1,300 explorations and research projects.

During World War II, its staff of cartographers worked with the U.S war department to locate military targets in enemy-held territories.

In addition to its many grants, the National Geographic presents a series of medals to scientists and explorers each year in recognition of their outstanding achievements.

It also publishes colorful and informative books, and offers a special school information service division.

Today this hugely successful organization, the largest nonprofit scientific and educational institution in the world boasts a membership of more than seven million. (and more since this card I'm reading came out in 1980).

(Ending)

And that was the history of The National Geographic Society from the Story of America cards. I hope you enjoyed and that this was simple and quick and I'll see you next time in my other history cards of in this series.