Colonial Scientists

What was Early Science like......Yeah Probably fascinating and amazing because it was discovered for the first time, so let's talk about Colonial Scientists from The Science and Invention Section from the Story of America cards.

(What are Colonial Scientists?)

What are Colonial Scientists?, well there's not a lot to look at for what it means, but it's basically early scientist and the type of Science or invention they have or helped created.......Even Stolen!.....I AM LOOKING AT YOU EDISON!, But anyhow that's all I'm gonna say here.

(Geniuses at Work in Early Times of Science)

Because the Time and Resources needed for study and discovery were in short supply during America's Colonial period, not many scientists emerged, in addition the British government was not about to encourage scientific exploration in America, which it considered primarily as a source of trade and profits.

Most of the early colonial scientists were naturalists who were interested in describing and cataloging the large number of plants and animals found in the New World, for the most part they worked independently in their own crude laboratories, John Clayton, John Banister, and John Mitchell (Lot of Johns here as Usually), all settlers in 17th and 18th century Virginia, were botanists who carried on correspondence with their counterparts in Europe.

In 1728 John Bartam, a Pennsylvania Quaker, built America's first botanical garden in Philadelphia, His son Willaim, following in his father's footsteps published a list of 215 birds he had sighted, the most extensive catalog of American birds yet compiled.

Other early American scientists also kept themselves informed of the discoveries of Newton and Galileo in Physics and astronomy as a result, James Logan, a Pennsyvainna statesman and botanist, introduced Newton's works into America in 1708.

The Royal Society of London, the world's leading scientific organization at the time, included Americans Cotton Mather, John Winthrop, John Clayton, and John Mitchell (Again a lot of Johns as Usually), In 1727, Benjamin Franklin, The Greatest of all Colonial Scientists started the "Junto" society in Philadelphia, where American Scientists gathered to present papers and to discuss work.

Franklin of course was interested in almost every aspect of science, his greatest contributions were in the field of electricity, but he also worked in meteorology, physics and optics, Franklin was not always right however while still a young man, living in Boston in the 1720s, he opposed the work of Cotton Mather and Dr. Zabdiel Boylston who developed a successful vaccine against smallpox.

Boylston's Paper on the subject published in 1726, was the first such clinical presentation written by an American physician.

Another great colonial scientist was Benjamin Thompson, or Count Rumford, who gained distinction in the field of physics. A loyalist during the Revolution, he was forced to leave America and completed his work on ballistics and the molecular properties of heat in England.

(Ending)

And that is all about Colonial Scientists, I hope you liked it and I'll be seeing you next time I make another one, bye.