Chapter 2: The frays

"You're still not done?" Jorginho barged into the room while Markris was dressing up.

He whipped his head around, a frown plastered on his handsome face. "Don't you understand the concept of knocking?" He hissed, struggling with his tie.

"We finally have an opportunity to land our biggest client since the del Monte group, and you're being so nonchalant." He shook his head.

"At this point, Jorge, these companies should be glad I look their way," He loosened the tie and threw it on the bed. " This won't do." He muttered under his breath and moved back to his closet.

"Doesn't make this less important. The Markris I used to know took his business very seriously. What's changed?" His brow lifted, with wrinkled lines appearing on his forehead.

"The Markris you used to know?" He snickered, shifting through the different ties in his closet. "What even is that?" He spotted one with blue stripes, al and instantly knew it was the one to wear.

"Don't act like I'm talking just to talk," Tired of standing. He took a seat on the bed. "You've been hiding here since the...."

"Don't." Markris quickly cut him off.

"That's exactly what I'm talking about. You're trying to act like the last week didn't happen. Hell, you won't even go back to your place." He threw his hands up, a sigh of frustration escaping his lips.

"Are you done?" Markris threw him a glance as he tugged his tie in place.

"Mark...."

"If you want me out of your space, all you need to do is tell me. There's no need for the unnecessary talks." He shrugged, retrieving his suit jacket from the closet.

Jorginho sighed again. "I just want to know why you won't talk about it. That's all."

"What is there to talk about? Was I caught in a clash between my father and his rivals? That I was almost gunned down in the process?" A sadistic laugh escaped his throat. "Or that My mum, who I thought was dead, suddenly appears. That her boys were the ones that helped to chase away my father's rivals who wanted to kill me. I mean, let's even look at the irony in that." He released his hair from its man bun and began to brush it furiously.

"That's not what...."

"Or let's talk about Lorena. Yeah, Lorena Cicero. Let's talk about how she stood me up on the altar.  We could talk about all of these, but I don't see how it will necessarily change anything," He finished and carefully tied his hair back into a bun. Slowly, he turned around to face Jorginho. "Now, instead of you giving me shit for the things I couldn't control, how about you just let me do me?"

"Fine. I was just worried about you."

"I know," He walked to him and touched his shoulders. "I'm fine, Jorge. I'm not going home cus my mum insists on speaking to me, and I'm not ready to see her. Let's get this business done and over with."

"Fine, let's go."

Markris stepped out of Jorginho's house, and his face welcomed the morning sun with a glow. This was the first time in exactly a week since the incident he was stepping out. As he stepped into the car, they would be driving to work. He let his mind drift to the day he saw his mum again.

"Mother?" He had called, his nose scrunched in disgust.

"You remember me." She reached out to him again, a pool of tears forming in her eyes.

"It's not that hard to. Not when it's like staring in a mirror," He pushed her hands away again and threw his face to the side. "Why are you in my house? I thought you were dead." He said, his voice devoid of emotions.