03- The Fake Account

Four months had passed since the onset of the lockdown, and with each day, my familiarity with the virtual world grew.

My classes just ended, and I found myself feeling bored. I decided to create a fake Instagram account and reach out to some of my classmates. I grabbed a pen and paper, jotting down a list of names that came to mind. It was a bit hard to choose one name from the list of names that I wrote. So I decided to text Loren.

(Bold-Loren, Italics- Katherine)

K: Hey Bestie! What's up?

L: Hey Katy! My classes just finished.

K: Oh, okay. Are you busy right now?

L: No, I'm free for about 30 minutes. After that, I have a few chores to do.

K: Great! You know that I don't speak much in class, right? Well, I was thinking of creating a fake Insta account and DMing some of our classmates. What do you think?

L: Woah, Insta!? Don't you need a phone number for that..?

K: Well, you can also use your email address. So, I created a new Google account, and I'm going to use that.

L: Wow, Katy! You know everything! Teach me something?

K: Hehe, sure, tell me when you want to learn.

L: Awww, thanks, Katherine! You're the best! So, have you come up with a username yet?

K: Hmm, I was thinking "The_Canadian_Wolf." What do you think?

L: Woah, not bad! It sounds quite cool!

K: Really?

L: Yes! So, what other details do you need to create the account?

K: Well, I need a phone number or email address, birthday, name, username, bio, and a profile picture. Although it isn't compulsory to put a bio and profile picture.

L: I feel that it would look more realistic if you put them.

K: You're right, Loren. It would make the account seem more genuine. I'll definitely add a bio and a profile picture.

L: Good call, Katy. So, about the email address or phone number, what did you end up using?

K: I decided to use my new Gmail account, so I used that email address to sign up.

L: Smart choice! And what's your birthday for the account?

K: I was thinking of putting 5th March 2005.

L: What name are you planning to use?

K: Well how about... Rose? Rose Elizabeth Gomez.

L: Sounds good. And "The_Canadian_Wolf" as the username, right?

K: Yep, that's the one. It has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

L: Absolutely! Now, for the profile picture, any ideas?

K: I designed a shield with a wolf emblem and the lettering as "THE CANADIAN WOLF."

L: That's creative! It ties everything together. So, what will you put in your bio?

K: I'm planning to keep it simple, maybe something like "Exploring the virtual wilderness." What do you think?

L: I love it! It adds a touch of mystery. This Instagram account is going to be a hit!

K: Thanks, Loren! With your help, it's going to be perfect.

As Loren and I continued to plan the details of my fictional Instagram persona, the excitement of this new virtual identity began to grow. Little did I know the twists and turns that this "virtual wilderness" would bring into my life during the lockdown.