IX

"Ugh," Vada smacked her hand around the floor as she tried turning off the annoying sound that, so early in the morning, reminded her she had another day of school to suffer through. Her tired eyes fluttered open as she finally found her phone, which had, somehow, found its way inside the pillowcase. Groggily, the teenager got up from the floor, where she had been sleeping, and entered the bathroom to get ready.

It was only her third day of school at Lincoln High, but the fourteen-year-old couldn't wait for it to be over already. If she were being honest, she liked living with Maya and Carina, they were nice— for now —but she wondered when the day Mrs. Anderson appeared at the door to take her away would come. Maybe at her next placement, she wouldn't have two foster moms who actually cared about her education, granting her the freedom to skip school whenever she pleased. Would it be worth it, though? Was the freedom of not going to school better than her wish of having a family? At that moment it felt that way. Perhaps Vada didn't understand the value of family, but why would she? The small brunette didn't remember a time when she had people on her side, giving her that unconditional love that parents were supposed to have for their children. Did that even exist, or was it just in the movies?

She looked at herself in the mirror— the dark circles under her eyes were only growing bigger, stealing away all the spotlight her beautiful big green eyes should have. Splashing her face with water, the teenager called it a day, not having the energy to put on any of the moisturizer Carina had gotten for her. Fixing her navy sweatshirt that she had paired with some baggy jeans, she grabbed her backpack from the floor and went to move the chair that had been blocking the door— a habit that she had yet to break. She felt safer in that house than she had felt in years, but one could never be too sure, and jamming the door at night brought her a peaceful feeling. She was thankful her foster moms didn't storm inside the room without knocking, making it easier to keep it a secret from them.

"Good morning," Maya said when she saw Vada enter the kitchen.

"Do you always wake up this early?" the teen asked curiously, taking a seat at the table.

"Yes, she does," the Italian answered, smiling teasingly as she sipped on her morning coffee.

The blonde wasn't working that day, but everyone who knew Maya Bishop knew she always got up early, no matter if she was on shift or not. Vada found it extremely weird, she would never get up early by choice. She found a sense of calmness when being wrapped up in a blanket, and if she could, she would stay there forever. A place where no one would bother her— except for her nightmares. Those never understood Vada's need for rest.

"I find the good in enjoying every minute of the day possible," the firefighter explained, adding the ingredients to her smoothie.

Carina grabbed her wife by the waist, pulling her closer to her. "And that's very nice, bellina," she spoke lovingly, kissing her, earning an eye roll from the fourteen-year-old before them. When they pulled away, the doctor grabbed the breakfast she had prepared for Vada and placed it on the table. "Here."

The girl eyed the Nutella toast. "I'm not hungry," she said. And it was true, she was way too anxious to eat.

"It's just one, Vada, please," the tall brunette pleaded with her foster daughter, still concerned about the girl's health— her continuous refusal of food, and the exhausted look on her face didn't ease any of her worries.

"As a doctor, haven't you heard the importance of listening to your body?" Vada replied pointedly.

"I have, yeah," Carina nodded, a light chuckle escaping her lips. "But I've also heard the importance of a minimum food intake per day. And you, bambina, are far from it. So, eat," she finished, firmness filling her voice as she pointed her finger at the teenager.