Chapter 60

Yoko: Enid can we talk

Enid: Yes whats up

Yoko: So earlier I was trying to get out of Divina's hair

Enid: And?

Yoko: I looked at the board and thought what if I join the bee club right

Enid: Wait but isnt weds in that

Yoko: Well the poster didnt say that so i went

Enid: I can see where this is going

Yoko: Yeah so wednesday was there and she was like super creepy i kinda forgot what she actually said but like im scared to go to sleep

Enid: Dont be

Yoko: Why

Yoko: Is she about to kill me

Yoko: Please tell me im going to live till tomorrow

Yoko: ENID SHOULD I LOCK THE DOORS AND WINDOWS OR IS SHE IN MY ROOM ALREADY

Enid: Chill

Enid: Shes just playing the cello

Yoko: Thats comforting

Enid: Good

Enid: What did you get for question 12 on the maths

Yoko: I was being sarcastic!!!!!

Enid: Srsly dont worry ill tell her not to kill anyone else

Yoko: UM

Yoko: WHAT

Yoko: WHO

Yoko: Enid are you ok

Yoko: Enid are you dead

Enid: No im fine stop texting

Yoko: Why

Enid turned off her phone and switched it to silent mode, the better to hear Wednesday's cello playing. It had switched to a different piece - the final melancholic strains of the last piece had drifted away on the wind, and a folkish tune had struck up. After several bars, all of a sudden, lyrics were added.

"Look how the lights of the town, the lights of the town are shining now. Tonight I'll be dancing around, I'm off on the road to Galway now..."

For the rest of the verse Enid was distracted by the sound of Wednesday's voice in song, and her dark silhouette through the spring-coloured window - accentuated by the winking tinted stars that shone through it above.

"Téir abhaile riú, téir abhaile riú, téir abhaile riú Mhearai, téir abhail gus fan so bhaile, mar tá do mhargadh déanta."

It didn't even matter that the lyrics weren't in English any more; emotion and feeling was expressed through the music such that Wednesday had not directly communicated even in her and Enid's solitary hug. Never before had Enid believed that she could listen to music (that wasn't K-Pop or Taylor Swift) without getting bored, but now she laid back into her mountains of soft toys and pillows, enjoying the modal harmonies and engaging words.

"Stay a while and we'll dance together now as the light is falling. We'll reel away 'till the break of day and dance together 'till morning -"

Bang, bang, bang.

"Enid, you had better be alive in there!"

"I am, Yoko, you idiot."

Disappointed to have been broken from her trance, Enid heaved herself up and opened the door.

"Here I am. Unharmed. In the flesh."

"Thank the Lord above."

"You're agnostic."

"Oh, it's you again." Wednesday had abandoned her cello and joined the conversation. "Tanaka."

"Addams." Yoko returned the awkwardly formal - and yet somehow at the same time impolite - nod, and now looked to Enid in desperation. Unfortunately at that moment Enid had slightly zoned out and remembered her Drama teacher telling her that she could not lie for toffee, and so scrambled about for any excuse at all to rid herself of Yoko, for the sake of everybody present and her Drama grade.

"Oh, um, it's, like, eight o'clock, Yoko. You had better get back and do, uh, prep with Divina. She just texted me that she can't do question 12 on the maths. Ha ha. Go on, scoot." Before another word could be spoken or threatening look exchanged, Enid slammed the door shut - before realising that she had used her left hand and now her wrist hurt even in its cast. "Ow."

"Are you alright?" Immediately Wednesday, who had been heading back to the balcony, was standing in front of Enid, face betraying a hint of concern.

"Yeah, I just used my broken arm." A hesitant nod from the other girl, and brief eye contact that wordlessly translated to, do you need anything else? "Could you tell me what the words in the chorus meant earlier?"

"It roughly translates to 'Go home and stay home, silly girl, because your match has been found'."

After thirty silent minutes, spent - instead of puzzling out algebraic indices - on social media, a second question occurred to Enid, and without thinking she spoke out loud. "So does that apply to you?"

"I'm sorry?"

"The lyrics of your song. Are you going to go home? And have you found your match?"

The tapping of typewriter keys stopped, and Wednesday walked over to take a cautious seat on Enid's vivid bed. "I am not going to go home. I am home at Nevermore. And as for my match, I believed I had met my match in fencing in Bianca. She has left. I believed I had met my match in investigation in Tyler. He is locked up. I believed I had met my match in death in Crackstone. He is, instead, dead. I believe now that I have met the match of my soul. I hope that I will not be denied that."

Wednesday offered out her hand toward Enid, and once again, Enid grabbed it in her own - but this time, she launched herself toward Wednesday in a purely joyful hug, and to her astonishment was not rejected but embraced in return. "I love you so much!", she whispered into Wednesday's shoulder, forgetting everything else but the present moment.