Chapter 32

Enid stabbed her fork into a chunk of carrot and brought it to her mouth. Her mother's lecturing was an incessant babble in the background, something about proper werewolves in the good old days marrying a mate chosen by their parents on their sixteenth birthday. She only kept the tears in her eyes for the sake of Danielle, who hated to see others sad. The idea of being bonded for life to a boy made her feel physically sick. Sure, dating Ajax had been fun, the two of them foolishly imagining that if a boy and a girl kissed they must be in love. But they had realised that they were better off as friends; the idea of love between them inspired only by films and books and stories that painted that picture as the perfect, idyllic life.

Enid's mother stopped in her spiel for a second, and Enid hoped that she would finally be excused, but no - the family was treated to a whispered rant about how unnatural some teenagers nowadays were, with pointed glances over at Ajax and Kent, who were introducing their families to each other.

"I'm glad none of my children have ever had a phase like that.", said Esther, squeezing Enid's cheek. Momentarily Enid thought it was a rare affectionate gesture but her hopes were dashed when her mum said, "You need to lay off the sweets and snacks, Enid.", through a mouthful of chicken pie. Esther took her hand away from Enid's face and started to complain about the neighbours to her hen-pecked husband.

Enid stood up and walked away. None of her family looked at her except Danielle, who attempted to go with her but was held back by Connor who kept a tight grip on her hand.

Enid felt a great deal of guilt to leave her poor sister with the toxic family, but had had enough and just wanted to be alone. No, that was wrong. She didn't want to be alone. She wanted to be with Wednesday, who always made her feel safe and comforted and listened to, and who was so beautiful and so competent and so brave, and who hid her endless love and care behind a guise of strength and psychopathy that she removed in the presence of Enid. Although, admittedly, at least a little of the psychopathy was ingrained within her rather than being a disguise. Enid didn't mind that - it was rather sweet.

Where would Wednesday be now? Enid had seen her leave the quad. Often when Wednesday walked into the forest on her mysterious daily mission Enid was watching from the balcony, and there had not been an opportunity to go there as yet today so perhaps her roommate would be there? It was worth a try at least.

Following footprints left in the leaves and earthy debris by heavy boots, Enid wandered into the dense, dark forest. At some point it became almost impossible to see the floor, but Enid had a solution: she looked up at the waxing gibbous moon, absorbing its rays, and opened her eyes wide, breathing deeply. Her claws extended and she felt the pull of a transformation into a wolf, but held it at bay, waiting until her vision changed. Now the footprints were easy to see and Enid's sense of smell was also enhanced - the scent of Wednesday lingered in the air, and she began to jog.

Soon enough Enid's foot hit a tripwire, and it was only with werewolf reflexes that she dodged the crossbow bolt that sped at her head. Recovering her shaken senses, Enid looked around to see a wonderful area - a patch of grass in the centre, with a tall, golden sunflower growing out of it, moonlight streaming through gaps in overhead branches, a sword pointed at her face -