Chapter Twenty Four| The Misfortune In Being Perfectly Reckless

"I remember!"

"What?" I raise an eyebrow and he grins.

"I remember the end of the joke! The guy goes home and finds his dog!"

"Wrong joke Tyler, we were joking about cancer," I sigh and go back to knead the dough in my hands.

"But that's not even funny!"

"We're horrible people." I respond flatly.

"Oh my god, we are!" He cries out and stops frosting cupcakes. "Why are we making all these cupcakes?"

"For the charity bake sale, all the proceeds go to Cancer research," I remind him.

"That irony though."

"Yeah whatever." I shrug. "Have you talked to Marnie?"

"Nah, she's been super busy," he shrugs off casually.

"Or you're just too shy to talk to her," I mutter back.

"You can't judge me." He snaps back.

"Yeah you're right. I can't," I reply and place the brownies in a pan.

"How's Arah and Brooklyn?" He asks, picking up a brownie.

"Arah's good, Brooklyn... something's up with her. She's bit off and I can't quite but my finger on it," I shrug.

"Is she... like, depressed?" Tyler asked and I shake my head.

"No, she's jittery, like she can't keep still. She seems happy gut if you question her, she snaps? It's weird... " I trail off. "She left her bag here the other day but then she came back for it immediately and then dropped it and then just shoved everything back in... but she left Arah behind."

"Well, she's like, what? Twenty five or so? She's your brother's age and it's gotta be hard being a single mum at that age," he reminds. "I'd probably leave the kid and the bag."

"Yeah, you're right. I'm just so worried about Arah, I mean if something happened to her, I'd literally..." I'd literally just be done. I mean, how much can an eighteen year old really take? If something happened to Arah, I would die.

Some days, I wish I could be like those girls in books and movies. The ones who are so strong and can lose everything and still keep going without shedding a tear. But I'm not, I'm not too particularly strong. And holding back tears was never my strong suit either.

"Carrie? You spaced out and the cupcakes are burning," I snap out my day dream to sniff something weird. Tyler gets up to help me take them out of the oven and we set the slightly smoky brownies on the counter.

"Thanks. Now help me pack these up so that I can give them to Mrs. Sampson and finish my community hours," I instruct him and he salutes.

"Yes Ma'am!"

"And if you're good, you get a cookie," I pat his head and he rolls his eyes as we get to work.

~-~

"I knew she was a total witch-bitch," Valentina mutters.

"It's not Melisa's fault Val. It's mine," I mutter to her and she sighs.

"You made a mistake, you regret and you apologized for it. Plus, it was just a kiss," Valentina exclaims.

"It was cheating," I reply and she rolls her eyes.

"No. Cheating is when Macon slept with four different girls and claimed it was because you were bad in bed. That's cheating and being a horrible person," Valentina points her salad fork in my direction and Rose snorts under her breath.