Chapter 1: The Hemisphere

The cool breeze of the night blew gently, creating a calming effect. The stars were out to play in their shiny glory, and so was the full moon.

The smell of freshly baked cookies, carried by the breeze, circulated the whole environment. Children gathered in a circle in readiness to display the joys of their innocence. Two big burn fires, together with the moon and stars, were the source of light for that night.

Lorena Cicero came out of a room with a big tray of cookies. Signora Pallas followed behind her with a gallon of freshly squeezed juice. Finally, Izzo and Tatiana stepped out with cups in their hands.

"My loves," Lorena smiled, creating a space between the kids to get to the table at the circle's center. "We've brought treats." She said, gently placing the tray on the table.
She turned around, collected the drink from Signora Pallas's hands, and placed it gently beside the table.

"Izzo, Tati? Pass the plates and cups around." She said, gently pushing them forward.

She watched silently as the kids stretched their hands to receive their cups. She sighed, wishing they were not always this well-behaved. She loved when kids acted like kids. Maybe it had something to do with her barren childhood, devoid of laughter.

Thinking of her life instantly made her sad. She had bowed not to look back, but it had been one week now, and she was afraid her problems would catch up on her soon.

"I'll leave the kids to you now. I have some paperwork to sort out." Signora Pallas smiled at the children and turned around to leave.

Lorena's eyes followed her until she was out of sight. She had not seen someone her age work that hard. She deprived herself of many luxurious things to keep these innocent children safe and comfortable. It was the thing she admired the most about her.

However, she could sense something was off. Some financial issues were going on. One she could quickly solve, she could call her manager.

"My lady?" A little girl called, walking up to her.

"Yes, Helena." She smiled and bent so she could communicate better with her. She was the youngest and newest kid at the orphanage.

According to Signora Pallas, her mother had died in an accident, and her father ran away from the responsibilities of taking care of her. A stranger had picked her up while wandering around and carried her to the orphanage. Perhaps, it was why Lorena had such a soft spot for her.

"Can I have some coowkees now? I'm hungry." She said, rubbing her tummy.

Lorena chuckled and pulled her into a hug. "Of course, you can, my darling. But," She pulled out of the hug and grabbed her little shoulders.

"What did I tell everyone should call me." She raised a brow.

"Lowena." Helena giggled shyly, showing her missing tooth.

"Good girl," Lorena pinched her cheeks gently.

"Now come with me, baby. I'll give you lots and lots of cookies." She said, scooping her into her arms.

"Has everyone gotten their plates and cups?" She asked over her shoulder.

"Yes, ma'am." They chorus.

"Great! I'm going to take the tray around to share the cookies. Is that alright?"

"Yes, my lady!"

"It's Lorena." She corrected.

"Yes, Lorena." They chorused again and broke into a giggle.

That was more like it, she thought. They were acting silly now, and it pleased her. Gently, she placed Helena on the ground and set some cookies on her plate. Then she picked up the tray and handed it to the kids.