𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐌𝐄𝐀𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐓𝐎 𝐒𝐔𝐑𝐕𝐈𝐕𝐄

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐍𝐂𝐇 𝐎𝐅 𝐌𝐎𝐋𝐃𝐘 𝐅𝐎𝐎𝐃 and cardboard digging into my skin is etching itself into it as more time passes with me and kenji in the trashcan.

it's hot and sweaty in here, the air seeming to be cut off by the lid of the trash can being closed when we entered.

the idea of saving juliette and adam have gone out of the widow to kenji, as he seems to want to just get back to james. he says they'll be able to 'handle themselves.' kenji then goes to mention how he left james in a car.

"you left james all alone?" the idea of james being alone makes my mind start racing with thoughts of everything and anything that can happen to him.

"not necessarily, i mean-i left him with a gun, adam taught him how to use one. plus if you ever need me to protect you, i have two big guns right here." he raises his arms to show off his muscles, while having a smug look on his face.

"did your parents raise you correctly? why would you leave a kid with a gun? jesus christ, just get out."

"i'll pass." he lowers his arms to put them back behind his head, trying to get comfortable in the confined space, "he'll be fine, i'm a great teacher y'know."

"if james has a scratch on him, i'll put your actual gun to good use." he lets out a little hum in response while peering down to look down at his gun attached to his holster.

quietness fills the already uncomfortable room, the only sound is kenji moving trash bags to get adjusted into the tight space.

it leaves me with a moment to process the past few days.

the only thing my mind can focus on is ingrid. james coming up occasionally, but ingrid overcomes that seeming she's always with him; making her always standing there far or near whenever i try to picture james to make my mind focus on anything else but her.

i want to grieve, i want to cry into a pillow, lay in a bed and let my body and mind have a break. but the situation i'm in denies me in doing so, leaving a sorrow that fills my body so much i feel like i'm drowning.

i have to let my body feel so tense while my head is pounding, just so i don't trigger an attack. i would rather deal with one myself than have kenji here.

"what were the guards talking about, like, when they said 'he has the girl'?" i look over to kenji to see him stare back at me when i ask.

"they were probably thinking we were adam and juliette."

"why would they want adam and juliette?"

oh. oh.

"are you guys the rebels they were talking about?"

kenji stops looking at me, no words come out of mouth. probably putting the pieces together in his brain about ingrid, the dead body i had been laying on.

the minutes of kenjis silence, the more self control i need to grab his gun and shoot him in the face here. "i want an explanation kenji, i'm serious. you and adam keep blowing me off."

"i will time when we're in a place where we can talk without someone finding us, okay?" kenji conceded as he uses his hands to massage his temples.

he's stressed, we both are. it's been hell and back; both us of know each other has been through shit without having to exchange any words about it.

"how long are we going to stay in here anyways? i shift around but feel a mushy texture graze my arm. as i slowly turn i see a banana, it's black by how ripe it is. gross. "whenever it starts getting quiet outside" kenji answered.