𝗣𝗥𝗬𝗜𝗡𝗚 𝗙𝗢𝗥 𝗠𝗢𝗥𝗘

Chapter Three

Chapter Three

     𝗔𝗗𝗔𝗠 𝗚𝗘𝗦𝗧𝗨𝗥𝗘𝗦 𝗙𝗢𝗥  us to follow him, his expression unreadable

     𝗔𝗗𝗔𝗠 𝗚𝗘𝗦𝗧𝗨𝗥𝗘𝗦 𝗙𝗢𝗥  us to follow him, his expression unreadable. I grab James's hand, giving it a reassuring squeeze.

The path ahead is rough, littered with rocks and roots that twist like gnarled fingers out of the earth, much like what we've passed through before. But it has a weariness to it, more consuming.

Tall trees loom overhead, their branches forming a dense canopy that blocks out most of the sunlight. The air is thick with the scent of pine and damp soil, and every step feels rough against the rugged terrain.

As we navigate through the forest-like area, I can't help my thoughts that fill with worry at Adam. His sudden appearance and his cryptic demeanor makes me more on guard. I hope he can't notice the goosebumps that arise on my arms whenever he stops for a moment.

I glance at James, whose face mirrors my own unease. We exchange silent looks, both of us trying to make sense of the situation.

"Rome," James whispers, poking my shoulder gently. "You know the basket—the one Ingrid gave us?"

My heart sinks. The basket. In the rush to follow Adam, I completely forgot about the basket of food. Even if I did hand it off to James to carry it, he was also preoccupied.

"I think I left it behind," I say, the realization hard. Something else to worry about on the list. James's face falls, and he looks genuinely distraught.

"I'm so sorry, Rome," he mumbles, his eyes filled with guilt. "I should have remembered."

"It's okay," I assure him. I can't help the frustration that's already brewing up inside me. Softly, I rub his back so display my message. "Stay here with Adam. I'll go back and get it."

Adam raises an eyebrow but says nothing as I turn back towards the shrubs we had passed through. My steps are quick, driven by a mix of annoyance and worry.

What is Adam's game? Why is he acting so strange? Why is this so important and urgent? Where are we going, and most importantly, who are we meeting?

The questions swirl in my mind as I retrace our path, ducking under branches and stepping over roots.