05 | the bearer of love

Comincia dall'inizio

Everyone broke out into an applause and a light cheer. Zolina stepped away from the microphone and gave a small wave and smile at the camera flashes that were hitting her from each angle.

Photographers and journalists from different magazines and newspapers, had all come out to document the special evening.

Ace's phone vibrated in his hand, and he quickly read the two messages that popped up on the screen.

(8:39 PM) Gwen🧨:
walk to the back staircase
last door on the right

He looked up and scanned his surroundings, spotting Gwendolyn standing with his group of friends who were all giving him the signal to get a move on.

With Zolina distracted by her guests, he followed his sister's instructions and walked over to the far end of the gallery in search of the stairs. A bow-tied server intercepted him, holding out a tray of small cups filled with brown liquor.

Needing a boost of liquid courage, Ace downed two; feeling the familiar smooth burn of Hennessy at the back of his throat.

Just as he put a hand down on the railing of the metal industrial staircase, his phone vibrated again.

(8:42 PM) Nyx🔥:
stop stressing

Once making it to the top, he peered down the small hallway and walked towards the light emitting from the last room on the right side. He opened the door that had a large 'Z' carved into its centre, knowing that he had entered her office.

It was packed with the flowers that he requested be delivered in secret during the event. Frankie from What In Carnation, was more than excited to create the special congratulatory arrangements for his favourite customers.

(8:49 PM) Indi🎨:
she's coming!

Seconds after receiving that text, Ace could hear the clicks of high heels against the staircase.

He turned around to face the door, the footsteps getting louder the closer that they got. His hands were shaking, and he pushed them into the pocket of his jeans.

Nigga. Calm the fuck down.

But he didn't get the chance to.

Because seconds later, a wide-eyed Zolina was standing only a few feet away from him in the doorframe of her office.

She brought a hand to her mouth as her jaw fell open.

"Wussup, Lil' Baby?" Ace smiled nervously at her. "Congratulations."

"Oh my gosh." Zolina croaked. Her voice was so quiet, that he almost didn't hear her.

"Sheesh. Look at you." He took a few steps forward. "I really ain't think it was possible for you to get any more beautiful, but damn, Ma. What the fuck?"

Ace took the time to note all of her differences up close; starting with the cool blonde knotless braids that flowed down her back.

A little gold dress stuck to her curves. Curves that seemed more prominent than the last time his hands were on them. The cinch of her waist was more defined, her thighs a bit thicker, her ass fuller.

Holy fuck.

Zolina still hadn't said anything else. She just continued to look at him and her flower-filled office with a thunderstruck expression.

"You just gon' stare at me?" He chuckled, moving directly in front of her and opening his arms. "Ain't tryna be a 'I'on get no hug?' ass nigga... But I mean, a nigga kinda want one—"