Alcon's Journal # 22 - Family

DSF@4baf3ae6ec0c5e5854d5d9a4683ab537

When Mars informed me that the exploration mission was concluded, I couldn't contain my excitement. Without wasting any time, I hurriedly made my way to the Schiaparelli#1 space habitat, eager to reunite with Ami. She had already completed her mission and arrived at the nearby space habitat about 10 days before me.

As soon as the vessel 3137 came to a halt, I swiftly unbuckled my seatbelt and hastily made my way down the seat. Climbing up the rope ladder towards the exit, I even stumbled in my haste. I imagined Mars sending an instant video transmission to Ami, and I could hear her laughter in real-time, reassuring me, "Alcon, don't worry, I'm waiting at the chamber door."

I rushed through the passage, and there she was, Ami, standing behind the airlock. As soon as the airlock opened, I sprinted towards her, embracing her tightly. It had been nine long months since our last hug...

After a brief rest at the space habitat, we boarded a commuter ship bound for the mother planet. As we reached the Earth's orbital ring, I took a moment to calculate the time and realized that I had been away from our home planet for over five years...

As we emerged from the Earth orbital ring elevator, Mr. and Mrs. Bryan were already there, eagerly awaiting our arrival. Ami appeared a bit bashful and whispered to me, "The tickets to travel to the Earth orbital ring base were quite costly, so I had my mom fly directly to Mr. Bryan's city and meet us there." I embraced Ami tightly, a pang of affectionate sadness filling my heart, and said, "Mr. and Mrs. Bryan, as well as myself, we are all your family..."

It was clear that Mr. and Mrs. Bryan loved Ami very much. Mrs. Bryan kept holding Ami's hand, and they talked animatedly. Mr.Bryan was as calm as ever, but he had more of the warmth that is unique to elders. He hugged me tightly and then watched as Mrs. Bryan, Ami, and I discussed happily. I saw serenity and comfort in his eyes, and I always felt that my father had entrusted him with something when he issued the command that was destined to send him to a one-way journey. Now he had finally fulfilled it.

That evening, at the hotel in the Earth orbital ring base, Mr. Bryan and I sat on the terrace, enjoying a glass of wine beside the crackling fire. Mrs. Bryan approached cautiously and asked me, "Alcon, I have grown fond of Ami. Would you mind if I borrow her for tonight?" I could hear Mr. Bryan stifling a laugh and then coughing on his wine, prompting Mrs. Bryan to rush over and pat his back. I turned around and saw Ami playfully making a face at me while leaning against the doorframe.

"Haha, of course you can." Although I felt a hint of reluctance, deep down, I was genuinely delighted.

That night, Mr.Bryan and I slept in a different room while Mrs. Bryan and Ami chatted in the master bedroom for so long that they fell asleep together on the plane to Mr.Bryan's home city. After we arrived at Mr.Bryan's house, Ami's mother was already there, and they hugged and laughed and cried. Mrs. Bryan wiped her tears while leaning on Mr.Bryan. After everyone had calmed down, Ami introduced me to her mother while holding my hand. Her mother deeply bowed to me and said, "Alcon, thank you for taking care of our Ami." I also awkwardly bowed and replied, "Ami is really good. Thank you for entrusting her to me."

Ami's mother runs a small accounting firm that is ordinary yet busy. Ami's sister and brother-in-law are in another country and sent a video greeting to Ami. That night in Mr.Bryan's backyard was filled with strong family affection. Amidst the starry sky, we sipped our drinks and engaged in heartfelt conversations. Ami and I shared our extraordinary journeys of traversing the stars and traversing space, coming together, discovering one another, and falling deeply in love...