Kurt's Journal #5 - First Sight

"Kurt, I think you should be able to see B-19997 clearly now, through window 1 on the starboard side," Cube reminded me.

"Thank you, Cube. Turn off the gravity and prepare for observation." I attached my tablet to the control console and grabbed the handrail.

The sunshade on the porthole slowly lifted, revealing B-19997 in view. From this distance, it looked like a half-cut grain of rice floating in space.

"Kurt, we are now synchronized with B-19997's orbit. My data shows that it is mainly affected by the sun's gravity, and the disturbance caused by other celestial bodies is negligible."

Recalling the approximate location of the feedback area that Cube showed me earlier, I searched for it through the telescope. B-19997 was small, and its rotation was slow. From this distance, the sun appeared smaller than the moon in the sky. The brightness of the sun illuminated the small celestial body with moderate contrast. And I had enough time for visual observation.

"Kurt, in 40 seconds, you will see the area that I showed you earlier. It will enter from the upper right and then disappear to the lower left," Cube seemed to read my mind and reminded me.

B-19997 slowly rotated, and I held onto the telescope, feeling a bit excited...

The area entered the field of view, and I was a bit surprised. The point was a convex object, resembling a regular metal object. It seemed to be a spaceship wreckage. I pressed the telescope record button and recorded the entire observation process while asking Cube:

"Cube, do you have any records showing spaceship wreckage or distress calls in this area?"

"I have checked. There are no such records. One possibility is that the wreckage of a defunct spaceship finally collided with this small celestial body, which could explain this situation."

"Well, can you overlay the images and survey results that I just saw?"

"I can. I have put it on the display plane."

I pulled out the display tablet hinged next to the porthole, zoomed in on the overlaid photo, which was a computer-processed image combining visible and invisible radiation spectra and adding computer-analyzed data that could be rendered into a visible photo. Indeed, it was a spaceship compartment, but the position of the hatch seemed to be open, and there were some indistinct objects scattered outside the hatch, which did not seem to be distributed like explosive radiation, but rather were scattered randomly.

"Cube, shall we land and take a look?"

Cube hesitated for a moment before answering me. "Okay, Kurt. We will land in approximately one and a half clock cycles."

I heard the propellant injected into the fusion engine and the engine began to spray, then after a few seconds, as the cabin walls slightly shook, the main engine roared...