Kurt's Journal #3 -Distress signal

Close the porthole and activate the centrifugal gravity system. I sit back at the control console and open the inspection results of the exploration computer. A gray data bar and data are displayed. Each gray entry represents a small asteroid with potential value that has been excluded. Some ambiguous results or results that require further detection will be displayed in light white, waiting for closer detection or for another survey spacecraft to take over. If green appears, it is very likely that the asteroid has mining value.

Most of the 11 small asteroids scanned this time are gray, with 2 light-colored ones. Most of the small asteroids are composed of silicates, and less than 7% are metals, most of which are common iron and nickel. These metal asteroids can be used to build super-large-scale space habitats for living, but the current mining of asteroids can temporarily meet the construction of space habitats between Saturn and the sun. The supply and exploration facilities in the Kuiper Belt are still in their infancy and do not require large-scale iron-nickel collection. Therefore, these asteroids are marked and tracked for future needs. Those that cannot obtain specific information or have the potential for other mineral spectra are displayed in light colors. These asteroids will be archived and shared in the company's exploration database for further observation.

I opened the two light-colored unverified asteroids, numbered b-14951 and b-19997. One of them will meet me again in a few cycles, and the computer has arranged for the next round of exploration. The other is already on its way away from me, and another spacecraft will take over at that time. I casually flipped through their photos and spacewalk videos. One asteroid was darker and the other was slightly brighter, like two potatoes thrown in the air. I suddenly wanted to open the porthole to see these two small asteroids, but the outside view kept changing due to the centrifugal gravity, and I couldn't see them with my naked eye. Just then, Cube interrupted me, "Hi Kurt, there's an urgent distress signal displayed on the console notification interface."

I glanced at the message on the console: "May day SC 11071"

Almost instinctively, I immediately opened the message notification. The system displayed that the distress signal came from a towing spacecraft numbered 11071 of the Star Catcher (SC) company, and the distress signal was brief: "Cargo tank damaged, engine failed." Then followed the galactic coordinates of the distress signal and the relative timestamp converted by the communication computer based on the coordinates. It seemed to be a message 0.07 relative clock cycles ago, and the computer also listed the order of other nearby spacecraft. I was the 11th in line, which meant there were 10 other spacecraft closer to the distress signal that could provide assistance.

According to the extended Interstellar Navigation Convention, if it is deemed technologically feasible and time-permitting, a distress signal will be broadcasted and displayed on the notification interface of the 12 nearest ships under the jurisdiction of the Convention and ranked by distance from the location of the distress call. The two ships closest to the target have the obligation to perform search and rescue operations, while the other ships wait for reinforcements. However, it is extremely difficult to conduct interstellar rescue operations in asteroid belts due to the need to avoid the presence of asteroids, and ships cannot travel at maximum speed. Generally, it takes about 200-400 clock cycles (equivalent to a little over a month to three months) to wait for rescue. During this time, a stranded ship without the ability to move can only continuously send its location and try to stay alive, while a ship with residual power should try to push itself in the direction that can increase the chances of successful rescue. However, even today, when interstellar exploration has become the norm, the success rate of interstellar rescue in busy asteroid belts is less than 25%, and the success rate in the Kuiper Belt outside the solar system is as low as 3%.

All pilots like us sign an agreement before embarking on exploration missions. In this agreement, the value of each person's life has already been determined. The value is negotiated and written into the agreement between the employee and the employer when joining the company, and is regularly updated. Employers bear a "limited liability compensation obligation", which means that employers under the jurisdiction of the Interstellar Navigation Convention have an obligation to perform "reasonable" rescue operations. However, if the rescue operation fails, the compensation paid by the employer to the employee or statutory beneficiary is no higher than the amount specified in the agreement, which is the origin of the "limited liability" clause.

In the infinite expanse of space lies infinite possibilities and endless crises. In every lonely journey, anyone could become a seeker of help. Perhaps it could be me in the next second? A 0.07 clock cycle means that there is almost 450 million kilometers between me and the person in distress, which is three times the distance from the home planet to the sun. At this distance, there is nothing I can do...