🌟8: Miku's Slip-up🎈

(Lore dump incoming)
.
.
.
.
.

Kaito was getting a little antsy. Rui had not given him a status report in 3 weeks.

"Ya wanted me, boss?" a familiar voice cooed. "Ah, Miku. At ease." he waved his hand lazily, signaling for the scout to stand. "You know where Kamishiro lives, right?"

Miku scoffs. "Yeah, that musty old cottage at the far side of Vivid Forest just at the edge of Wonderland Mountains." Kaito feigned offence. "Hey! I bought that house..."

"Doesn't make it any less musty."

Kaito sighed. "I want you to go check on him. He hasn't given me any updates on Aoyagi's whereabouts."

"Why can't you just send me on the mission too? It'll be easier with more eyes searching."

Kaito looks at her. "I would if it wasn't for the fact that Kamishiro is the only one Aoyagi trusts. It'll be much easier to trick him." he explains. "Good point. Well, I'm off!"

.
.
.

Miku walked across the forest. "In fairness, at least the king has the decency to keep this place clean. It's flourishing!" she comments. Rui's house wasn't too far from here.

She comes to a halt when she hears footsteps and the clinking of keys, and someone complaining about something. Shit. Was there a knight here?

She hid behind a couple of bushes and observes. "What a bum. He didn't even notice me hide." she sneers.

Miku continues to watch the knight search around. Spoke too soon. She covers her mouth with a handkerchief to silence her breathing and ducks deeper. She was lucky she hid behind a bush full of bright blue flowers so she blended in... decently at best. She scoots away, hearing the footsteps being dangerously close to her hiding spot, but then she snaps a twig.

How original.

The knight peered over. "If anyone's behind there, you have the right to come out with your hands up!" he says. "I'm gonna move the bushes aside!" he announces again. Miku knows she can't run so she readies a stunning spell.

He pushes the leaves. "Excuse me-" he gets cut off when Miku blasts him. A loud scream of agony escaped his lips as he curled into a ball on the ground. And then he passes out on the spot. Miku casts a telepathy spell to contact Kaito.

"Boss. I got a knight. Think we can milk info out of the guy?" she announces. "Oh? Give me a description." Kaito commands.

"Blond, loud, has a weird gradient in his hair..." she inspects his uniform. "Probably a general. Looks around Kamishiro's age."

"Is he concious?"
"No, why?"

She hears Kaito take a breath. "Roll up his sleeves.". She raises an eyebrow but obliges. "What do you see?"

"Bunch of bandages... hold on..." carefully, she begins to unravel the bandages. Was this putting the guy at risk of a wound reopening? Yes. Did she care? Nope.

Strangely, his arms were perfectly healthy. No wounds at all.

"Just a bunch of weird ass tattoos..." she trailed off.

"Wait these aren't tattoos! These are shifter marks! ...He's a shapeshifter?! How the hell did he escape the Hunt?!" she exclaimed. "What's his mark?" Kaito said, alarm growing in his voice. "Looks like a dragon. That's rare." she said nonchalantly.

"Miku."
"Yeah?"

"That knight is my godson."

Miku froze. One of the biggest precautions Kaito kept reminding everyone was to never harm his godchildren (of course Toya doesn't seem to count anymore). And she just proceeded to unknowingly knock one of them out. Looks like her salary is gonna be reduced for the month.

She heard a groan. "Boss, he's wakin' up what do I do?!"
"That's on you."

And with that, Kaito cut off his end.

The knight opened his eyes. They trailed over to Miku, then to his arm, and then to the bandages. "Good morning...?"

He sprang up upon seeing the white cloth on the ground. He drew his blade and glared at Miku. "Who are you?! State your bussiness."

Suddenly, another scream broke out as he clutched his chest, blood seeping out of it. 'Did I accidentanlly reopen one of his wounds?!' Miku panicked.

She catches him and begins slapping his face. "Hey! Don't die on me, fuckass!"

'Oh boy. Kaito is gonna kill me.'

She rips off her cape and tries to apply pressure. Rui's house should be nearby. She could ask him for help. "Come on sugar pants, let's get you patched up." she huffed as she lifted him up.