Chapter 11

Chunin Exams I

Naruto was up bright and early the morning of the Chunin Exams, and there was a palpable sense of excitement in the air as he prepared for his morning. Even if he wasn't going to run through his usual training regime, he still was going to go for a warm up run and do some stretching to make sure he was as loose as can be, and ready for anything. They didn't have to meet at the Academy until 2 in the afternoon, so he still had plenty of time to kill until he needed to go.

Since he didn't want to do anything too stressful physically in case he was tasked with something right from the start, he went down to the Facility and joined some of his clones working on Fuinjutsu study. His clones were making pretty steady progress through all the various Fuinjutsu scrolls they had obtained from the Uzumaki Shrine and the notes provided from Mito and Kushina that were given to him by the Hokage. It was a pretty fascinating field, and one that was very in demand of masters, and the Uzumaki were definitely considered masters of the field.

At around lunchtime, he left his clones working in the Facility and went to Ichiraku's for a wonderful meal in celebration of the approaching chunin exams, and ate his usual special batch of ramen while casually chatting with both Ayame and Teuchi. He reached the Academy ten minutes before 2pm, and found both Sasuke and Sakura waiting out front for him somewhat impatiently. He nodded to them both, and apologized for keeping them waiting as the threesome made their way into the building, finding a large crowd gathering around Room 202 and preventing their entry.

Naruto recognized Lee near the front of the group, seemingly trying to force his way into the room despite it being blocked by an older pair of shinobi who were trying to prevent anyone from entering. He knew Lee wasn't stupid, but was seemingly playing up his stupidity, maybe to get others to underestimate him and his team as he unnoticed Tenten and Neji nearby. The other problem though, was the classroom itself as they were supposed to meet at room 302 another floor up, but there was something going on that was confusing others that took the blond a moment to notice.

"That genjutsu is pathetic," scowled Sasuke loud enough for all the gathered genin to turn towards him, some in shock and others with scowls on their faces at him ruining their plan to eliminate more of the weaker teams, "let us through to the stairs."

"Nice going teme," spoke Naruto quietly, "you just helped all those weak teams get past the obvious ploy."

"Hn," grunted Sasuke, seemingly not caring as he pushed his way through the blocked hallway to the staircase at the end, until they were interrupted by Lee appearing in a flash in front of Sasuke as his teammates rushed to catch up, and glared at the green clad boy.

"You are Sasuke Uchiha?" came Lee's question that had Sasuke step back and look at the newcomer, "this year's Rookie of the Year ...I want to fight you."

"Lee," came the exasperated voice of Tenten who was seemingly ignored by Lee as he continued to stare at Sasuke, "we were supposed to be trying to downplay our skills."

"If you know who I am," started Sasuke with his customary smirk in place, dismissing Lee because of his appearance as many do, "then it is foolish of you to challenge me."

"No," interrupted Naruto with a glare at both boys, "what is foolish ...is to fight right before we enter these exams ...we only have a few minutes to get to the 'proper' classroom, and I've trained enough with you both to know this won't be that quick."

"You've trained with this ," started Sasuke with an unusual look at Naruto and then the green clad boy with the thick eyebrows in disbelief before being interrupted again by his blond teammate.