Chapter 9

Wait ...You Did WHAT?

Seeing the gates of Konoha after being gone for over three weeks, had all three genin smiling somewhat in relief, and had their jounin leader grumbling about what he knew was going to be an unpleasant interrogation from their village leader. That they were all now home was the important thing to remember, and the genin at least were happy with the outcome of their first C-Rank mission and the first time either of them really left the village of their birth. Kakashi had them stop at the gate and check in, and then told them they would need to deliver a report of their mission directly to the Hokage, as so many important things happened that he would need to know about before they could be sent home to rest.

Luckily, they were ushered directly in to see the Third Hokage, not having to wait at all when they reached the central tower, Naruto waving to a smiling Naru as the secretary opened the door for them to enter Sarutobi Hiruzen's office. Sasuke and Sakura were both visibly nervous after being led into the somewhat intimidating office of their village leader, not having many or any experiences being there previously, while Naruto smiled wide at seeing his surrogate grandfather, but remained respectful as they were in a group setting. Kakashi was ramrod straight as he came to a stop next to and just a bit in front of his genin team, and the raising of the Kage's eyebrows was the only indication that something was up with the usually very relaxed and borderline disrespectful jounin.

"Team 7 reporting a successfully completed C-Rank mission," spoke Kakashi plainly to the elderly leader of Konoha.

"And, were there any complications that needed to be reported directly to me?" asked a curious Sarutobi, as he watched the unusual behavior of one of his best jounin, and wondered why they came to debrief him directly on the mission.

"Several," drawled Kakashi, knowing there was no easy way to sugar coat everything that happened, and figured he should just say it all quickly. "We encountered four missing nin, two of whom we eliminated on the way to Wave, the other two we engaged and forced to flee "

Kakashi had to quickly trail off what he was going to continue saying, as the gathered shinobi all felt the increase in killing intent that quickly filled the office, forcing them all to try and get impossibly straighter as the elderly Kage glared at them all, but mostly the silver haired jounin. It was an intense, but thankfully short stare down as Kakashi instantly deferred to his leader and the Hokage could clearly see his intent was affecting the younger genin. While he pulled back the killing intent, his stare did not lessen at all, causing all four ninja present to squirm a bit under it.

"Explain slowly," began the elderly Hokage, "who you encountered, when, and how those outcomes came about, what decisions you made, and why you didn't use the newly created contact pins to alert us of the change in mission status?"

"Yes sir," replied Kakashi, deciding to just state the facts and hope he was still alive when his Hokage was done with him, "we encountered the Demon Brothers, former chunin of the Mist laying an ambush for our client on the way to Wave. We engaged and killed one in action, and the other after an interrogation of their purpose for attacking us. On continuing to Wave ..we encountered and fought Zabuza Momochi, former member of the Seven Swordsmen of the Mist "

"Wait," spoke the Hokage in a low register of voice, "you did WHAT?"

"I engaged Zabuza Momochi," spoke Kakashi slowly and deliberately, "and was assisted by my genin team in defeating him ...but, he had a hidden accomplice dressed as a Kiri Hunter Nin who came and rescued him out from under us."