33.2. The Last Memory

Start from the beginning

Every muscle in my body tightened. The feeling of hostility grew inside me, and I knew from where this feeling was coming. I glanced back at her, my lips breaking into a small smile, hoping she could see me and challenge me head-on. Haima's face was a look of seriousness, her brows drawn together features contorted into an intimidating stare-down tinged with contempt. And those eyes, devoid of all warmth, were a subtle form of emotional warfare, yet from her perspective, it was all fair and obvious. She isn't my Nazira, I told myself suppressing the thoughts of animosity that did not matter at all. This person was someone else.

Haima's hand then moved, I readied myself, and unflinchingly she slit her wrist. The spectacle of the pain she emanated made me feel as though my own vein had slit off. I pressed my eyes shut hearing her scream and cries in my mind. Haima dropped off on her knee, and then completely down on her side flinging her slashed hand into the water. The stream of blood flowed out of her freshly cut vein. She writhed at the spot, bleeding hand balled in a tight resisting fist until death was nigh unto her.

Matsyasvi and Pizaca wept silently, helpless.

The smoke inside the dome, from another dimension, began to swirl fiercely. Lady Drishtika's spirit was getting locked forever and the powers of the Third Eyes were ready to pass down to succeeding generations.

My throat constricted as I felt sorry for Haima. Her death was such a pitiful sight to witness. Haima, you displayed the courage and markings of a true queen until the end. But that was exactly the problem. You were always only the queen in every sense of the word. You were born and trained to be a queen, have performed your duties as a queen, and sacrificed your life for the betterment of the country - again- only as a queen. Perhaps that wasn't sufficient.

I grinned inwardly and sheepishly, realizing what the one thing was that Haima lacked in her life. This event from the past made me learn a lesson that needed no reteaching throughout the future arduousness of my life as a king.

I crouched down, studying her very closely now. Keeping the bitterness aside, I still thanked her deeply, for giving me the second heart and keeping her voice alive. She stopped moving, her cries ended and her lifeless eyes closed. She did not seem peaceful even after the death claimed her. Haima lay there, sullen. Diminished. Gone.

Her two companions walked over to proceed with their aftermath duties, but I did not pay heed. The blood that still oozed from Haima's wrist grabbed my attention. The way it coursed through the water, as though willingly flowing to reach a specific place. I crouched walk with the movement of the blood that flowed unnaturally towards the backside of the dome.

Instinctively, I looked up. The glowing eyes flashed in front of me. I gasped. Despite it being a sudden heart-stopping moment, the intimidation did not stay for long. The spirit was only watching my every move, floating and moving around the dome along with me but she seemed harmless. You're locked, lady. I'm sorry for your misfortune, but I will make sure that you stay locked forever.

I refocused and watched the movement of the blood which seemed to be getting lost inside the glass dome. Focusing on the bricks from the other dimension, and mentally visualizing the difference between the walls then and now, I realized the small portion at the bottom was glued awkwardly, giving me the impression that this support system for the dome was reconstructed. Without giving it much thought, I hit and pounded on one of the bricks, then collected all the crumbled portions and put them aside. I did everything I could only methodically without causing any disturbance in the foundation of the dome. A silver shining lid came into the picture. Feeling positive and a thrill coursing through my veins, I dug out the seven Samavek hidden inside the wall. I pulled them out and quickly removed the lids of the boxes. The stone disappeared with astonishing haste.