11

As Stanley parked the car in the frontyard garage, he gingerly twisted the keys and pulled them out of the car.

It took him a minute to register that he was even here.

Honestly, it was always the same each year. He hated this time of the year. He hated this.

He hated meeting his mother, Melissa.

Just as he rested his forehead against the steering wheel, the sharp ringing of his phone managed to pull him out of his pre-meeting horrors.

"Hello?"

The other line was silent before a soft chuckle rang in his ears, "Don't you sound alive... I suppose you've already reached home?" Xeno's familiar voice had a teasing edge.

"If you already know then why'd you even bother askin'?"

"Now, that's not a very elegant response. There's something called an icebreaker question..." Stanley could already feel the annoyance piling up, "How about I break your neck first, bastard?"

"Woah, calm down, Stan. You sound like you woke up on the wrong side of the bed..." Despite his threat, Xeno didn't have an inch of fear in his voice.

"More like I woke up questionin' my will to live... Why do I have to keep meetin' her? I moved out ages ago, she should leave me alone already."

"Stan... You meet her once a year, how much more do you want to limit your interactions with your mother?" The deadpan in Xeno's voice was ever audible as the pretty male sighed, "I'd prefer to meet her once a decade."

"Wow, you really are a model son! Maybe I should nominate you for the 'Son of the Year' award. You would surely win!"

Unbeknownst to Stanley, a lone figure slowly crept closer and closer to his car until they were standing right outside his window...

"Stanley~" A chill ran down his spine as the male whipped his head over in shock.

"MOTHERFUCK-" He stopped midway from pulling out the gun he had on him at all time when he caught sight of the familiar face.

Deep breaths, Stan... Deep breaths... Don't shoot someone today.

On the other side of the phone, Xeno was cackling as he realised what might have happened, "W-Was that... Was that Riley?!" Xeno gasped between his chortles.

"I told you, if you already know then why'd you even bother askin'?!" As exasperated as he was, Stanley knew he couldn't just hide in his car.

He had to face the demon known as his mother.

So he quickly hung up on Xeno (who was still cackling, by the way) and opened the door to greet his older sister, Riley.

"Stan!! It's been so long since I've seen you!!" As he stood up to his full height, his sister brought up a hand to measure the difference in their heights, "Damn, are you still growing? Don't tell me you're still a pubescent boy?~"

A deadpan was all she got in response.

"Seriously, Stan! We're seein' each other after an entire year!! Show some enthusiasm!"

"Yeah, yay."

"You know what, nevermind."

————

"Stanley!! I knew you were here!! No wonder Riley ran out so suddenly, she really adores you!"

The sickly sweet voice of his mother rang in his ears, already causing the poor guy to hide away from her bone crushing hugs. It didn't really help that he hated being touched.