Chapter Six

He recognized her immediately. That gorgeous blond hair braided on either side of her head and those rosy cheeks. His attention was drawn to her as if she was the most exotic thing in the room. That was, besides a little boy plunging head-first into the boards on purpose.

"Timothy," Charlie groans. "I just convinced your parents to take off the helmet, don't make me regret that."

Charlie had been teaching a kids skating class once a week since he started at Wenona University. It doesn't pay very well, but he loves seeing the kid's eyes light up when they realize they're getting the hang of it and their excited high fives after a session was over.

The kids scurry off the ice and back to their parents who are waiting with snacks and water.

"And good job today guys," he says, pointing at a little girl with pigtails. "Masey, remember what I said about using the rails."

An echo of bye Mr. Harrison's and cute little waving mittens make his chest warm as he waves back.

Though the kids are adorable, his attention doesn't stay there long now that the session is finished.

Lorelei Martin sits on a bench across from Damien–his roommate–and a curvy, dark-haired girl he didn't recognize. Kneeling in front of Lorelei was no one other than Luke Marshell, his least favorite fucking teammate. He did her laces and grinned up at her and Charlie almost missed a cone he was trying to pick up.

I thought she had a no-dating hockey player rule? Maybe that was a no-dating hockey players like Charlie rule?

Either way, it made him angry and Charlie rarely got angry.

And Luke of all people? Luke was a narcissistic, arrogant asshole who couldn't figure out how to be a team player even if he wanted to. The only reason Couch hasn't kicked him off the team is because his daddy donates enough money to basically fund the entire hockey team, plus some. It doesn't excuse the fact that his son is a complete waste of space.

Charlie puts the cones on the bench and starts taking off his skates.

Don't go over there.

He slips his feet into his slides.

Don't go over there.

He stands.

Don't go over there.

Their eyes meet.

No going back now.

He meant to say something clever, funny even, to act all nonchalant, like seeing Luke tying her skates didn't make it impossible to stop imagining his hands around Luke's neck. Of course, all he could manage to say was, "Lorelei."

Her entire body freezes over like it had done the other night when he walked her home. Like she was scared. Was she scared of him?

Damien stands as Luke's hands tighten on her skates.

"Hey," Damien says, glancing back from Lorelei to Charlie. "You guys know each other?"

Charlie doesn't answer. "Is this that double date you were talking about at practice?"

Damien's surprised expression is quickly replaced with a smile. "Yeah, this is Casey," he motions to the short brown-haired girl on the bench and then to the girl across from her. "And I guess you know Lorelei already."

Charlie's nose and cheeks are red from being on the ice and his hair a disaster. His clothes have dark wet patches on them and he looks overall a mess. Except his baby blue eyes are anything but. They're clear and focused on her. There had to be an explanation as to why she lied to him, right? She wouldn't make up some rule if it was true, it didn't seem like her. He laughed at himself. How would he know? He didn't really know her at all. She could be a pathological liar for all he knew, though some part of him had this weird feeling as if they'd been friends forever. He felt like he knew her–or at least wanted to.