clay let out a deep breath and admitted, "i do too."

they were both quiet for a few moments. george messed with the small rocks that he was holding. he felt the need to explain himself, "your front door was locked and i didn't want to wake anyone up... also i forgot my phone. i was kind of in a rush."

"so you threw pebbles at my window?" clay giggled. he leaned his hands on the windowsill and continued looking down at his boyfriend. he should've known that this wasn't the end.

george shrugged, asking, "what else was i supposed to do- break in?"

"okay, romeo," clay scoffed. he saw george crack a smile at his joke.

george's nerves were evident in the way he was still fidgeting with the pebbles and rocking back and forth on his feet. he spoke up again, "is this the part where i'm supposed to say something about you being the sun?"

"something like that," clay confirmed fondly. he reassured him, "it's okay, i know we both didn't pay attention in english class."

"yeah, especially you," george blamed. he recalled, "remember when you had a breakdown about having to write a five-hundred word essay?"

"i do," clay remembered. he could never forget that. he added, "that was the first time i went to your house."

george realized, "it was." he was quiet for a second before throwing another rock at clay's window. it bounced right off of the screen and almost hit him.

"karma," clay remarked jokingly.

rolling his eyes, george begged, "are you gonna let me in or do i have to keep standing here like an idiot?"

"i guess i can let you in," clay decided. obviously he was going to let george in- how could he not?

before george could thank him, clay was out of sight. george made his way over to the front door and waited patiently for the door to open. when it did, it took every ounce of self-control for the two to not embrace each other immediately.

clay looked down at george's right hand and then back up to his eyes. "you gonna put those down?" he wondered.

george had completely forgotten about the pebbles in his hands. his eyes trailed down and he felt a sudden rush of embarrassment. "oh- oops," he reacted before dropping the pebbles off of the front porch.

there was a soft smile on clay's face when george looked at him again. it was the type of smile that could just instantly give you the feeling of safety. george was safe with clay, and he hoped clay felt the same way.

as if it was a reflex, george's arms wrapped around clay's torso in a firm, passionate hug. it was as if they could feel their emotions flowing as they touched.

"i'm so sorry," george spoke into the bare skin of clay's chest.

it took a while for clay to register that george was touching him, but not just touching him; george was hugging him. he was hugging him with so much affection. clay felt so loved. "i'm sorry too," he related. they had both messed up, but they couldn't afford to lose each other over some misunderstandings.

george was the first to pull away from the hug, but he barely did. his head and shoulders were no longer pressed against clay's body, but his arms were still holding the boy like he was george's whole world.

george leaned in and kissed him.

he kissed him and he felt so stupid.

it was fast, lasting less than a second. a short peck to the lips followed by a dreadful expression on george's face; his hands immediately retracted from clay as he stammered, "i'm sorry- i shouldn't have done that."