Chapter 4 - Boss Fight

Forty players marched through a forest to progress from Tolbana to the Labyrinth.

Asuna, Kirito and I were at the back of the group, trailing off because we were only half of a party. There wasn't any worry of being attacked. The raid group would dispatch any monster that leapt out of the forest. But I didn't let my guard down anyway.

I kept my hands in my pockets, head down and kept quiet. It was December 3rd, 2022.

"Let's go over it again." Kirito quietly whispered to Asuna, who nodded her hooded head. "We are leftovers are supposed to target the boss's helpers, the Ruin Kobold Sentinels."

"I know," Asuna replied while I nodded with a grunt.

Kirito pointed over at me. "U/n will use a sword skill to knock their poles up, and when he does, switch in. Since there are three of us, we'll be rotating. U/n will start first, and I'll back him up, and after that, you'll back him up, and I'll attack next with U/n backing me up, then I'll attack with you backing me up. We'll repeat that the entire time."

Asuna raised a hand underneath her cloak and asked, "Switch?"

I raised an eyebrow, and Kirito looked shocked. "Is this the first time you've ever been in a party?" He quickly asked.

"Yeah."

Kirit slowed to a stop, causing Asuna and me to stop and look back at him. He let out a deep sigh, slumping his shoulders forward. I rolled my eyes and continued following the raiding party. The information wasn't all that surprising since the hood made it seem like Asuna didn't want to interact with other players unless she had to, like Kirito and me.

I haven't seen her fight, so we're going in blind, including other information like the boss and its patterns.

I have a feeling this will be a disaster.

At eleven o'clock AM, we reached the Labyrinth.

At twelve-thirty, we were on the top floor.

The raiding party hadn't lost a single member, which was surprising given this had to be the group's members' first time experiencing a near-full capacity raid. A full raid would've had twice our numbers, but at this point, we couldn't complain that forty-plus players were attempting to fight the boss, knowing that death is permanent.

It didn't take long to reach the massive double doors into the boss chambers.

A heavy silence took place in the group that began preparing to begin the raid, not uttering a single word as the humanoid monsters in the Labyrinth would detect or voice and come running.

Diavel raised his longsword and gave a hearty nod. Forty-three others brandished their weapons and signalled back.

His blue hair waving, the knight put his other hand on the center of the door. "Let's go!" He shouted and pushed hard.