Chapter 1 - World of Swords

A white-haired boy lays across his bed, staring up at the ceiling while listening to the sounds outside his home with a distant gaze. He tears his gaze away from his ceiling when his phone buzzes to his left, causing him to reach over and see who messaged him. His only friend, Kazuto Kirigaya.

"See you on."

A singular message caused the boy to look at the time and see it was about to turn one. He sat up on his bed and grabbed the helmet with two things written above the visor, "NVG," and below that was "NerveGear," the name of the headgear. The NerveGear didn't weigh much, but 30 percent of its weight came from the internal battery. It also had three slits on the left side of the front rim, indicating Power, Network Connection, and Brain Interface Status. There was a cord attached to the back, which the boy promptly plugged into an outlet, but it did not need to be plugged in to use the NerveGear because of its Internal battery.

The boy flipped the NerveGear around, loaded in a game called "Sword Art Online," and put on the NerveGear, lying on his bed. The visor had two things on the top right and left, a charging battery symbol for the former and the time for the latter. There was one minute left until it turned one o'clock, causing the boy to close his eyes the moment it turned to one o'clock.

The boy took a deep breath and muttered, "Link Start." His consciousness faded from reality, and he was transported into another world.

A blaring noise accompanied by pure white slowly raced forward, emulating the effect of being transported through a gateway. Various colours formed lines in a makeshift tunnel, speeding past at blinding speeds while a soft ringing rang out.

 Various colours formed lines in a makeshift tunnel, speeding past at blinding speeds while a soft ringing rang out

The NerveGear checked to see if the five senses were properly connected and lit green while checking each one. A different window appeared against the whiteness, and language selection, which had Japanese chosen before another window for an account login appeared. The required information was quickly typed in, which prompted a character selection to appear but chose to offer the boy the chance to use Beta Test Data.

U/n (M)

Yes     No

The boy selected to use the Best Test character data, and the white screen faded until it turned light gray and black text appeared. "Welcome to Sword Art Online!" The gray screen quickly shifted into a tunnel of blue light before changing into a blue sky painted on the bottom of something far above.

U/n looks down at his hands, wearing pale brown gloves, clenching and unclenching them as a familiar feeling comes back to him. "Heh, it's been a while." He mumbled as pale blue lights flashed across the starting area, revealing new players until it became packed to the brim with ten thousand players in absolute awe.

U/n looks around, scanning the new players, searching for one specific, but is unable to find him because of how many players were gathered at the Black Iron Palace in the Town of Beginnings. He groans and takes off to where he knew his friend would run to as his first stop because they agreed to meet if they couldn't find each other after logging in.