"He hasn't changed it one bit," Bella said, slumping down on the bed. Cerise tilted her head at her friend. She looked around the room, avoiding Cerise's gaze. If there was one thing Cerise was good at, it was reading people. Almost as though they were nothing but a glass showcase of themselves. 

"Are you regretting it?" The curly-haired girl asked, sitting next to Bella. She shook her head. Sure, it was very different from Phoenix, but she was looking forward to spending time with Charlie, Cerise and Rhys. Speaking of Cerise's brother, he poked his head into the room.

"Charlie let me in," He said, stepping into the room. He was quickly tackled into a hug by Bella. He was still in his nursing uniform, having just returned from a night shift. The bags beneath his eyes were apparent, and Bella couldn't help but note how prominent his cheekbones were. As though his skin was sinking in. She noticed this with Cerise too, but not to the same extent. 

Cerise felt guilty, seeing how exhausted he was. The two rarely got sleep. Cerise would go to school in the day and care for their father at night. Rhys would look after their father during the day and work at night. 

Rhys wasn't much older than the two. He was two years older, 19, and had been fortunate enough to pass all his classes with such high scores that he was accepted for an internship at the local hospital. Cerise was 17, like Bella, and was only two days older. Their mothers had met in the hospital and became friends. Then Cerise and Bella did too.

"I can't hang around long, but I wanted to at least come and welcome you back,"

"I appreciate it," The sweet moment was torn up by the sound of a horn blaring. The three peeked out of the window to see Billy Black, Jacob and Charlie. An orange truck beside them. Cerise and Bella shared a look of confusion before racing each other down the stairs. Rhys trailed behind them, laughing at their antics.

"Bella, you remember Billy Black," Charlie introduced. Cerise smiled at the man in the wheelchair. Billy was a kind and generous man; no one could argue that. Jacob was just as sweet, though a lot more introverted. Cerise had spoken to him a few times after Bella left. Though not as much as they used to. Cerise would often go to the reserve with Bella and Charlie, and the three kids would spend time making mud pies and playing. 

"Yeah," Bella responded, "you're looking good," She shook the man's hand. Cerise was distracted by Rhys pulling her away from the group.

"Cer, I'm gonna head back home. Spend the rest of the day with Bella," Cerise shook her head. It was obvious how tired he was. He looked as though his body was going to cave in on itself. 

"No, Rhys, you need sleep,"

"And you need to spend time with your friend. I'll be fine," Cerise sighed, knowing it was no use to argue with her brother. She may be stubborn, but he was a concrete wall compared to her soft breeze. "I'll see you later, okay?"

"'Kay," She wanted as her brother trailed back to the house. She walked over to Bella, who was now in the truck with Jacob. She rested her arms on the open window, smiling at the two. "So, you can give me lifts to school now," Bella chuckled and nodded. Cerise had a car but shared it with her brother, who tended to need it more.

"Of course. As long as you promise not to leave my side," Bella gave the girl a sheepish smile. Cerise nodded, holding out her pinky which Bella returned.

 Cerise nodded, holding out her pinky which Bella returned