chapter 41: sometimes stories have happy endings after all

Twilight played chase with the remainder of the daylight. As always, darkness won.

The streets were empty and Cook was still on a high. The letter rested safely in his pocket. "Hollywood," he whispered and briefly closed his eyes to let it all sink in.

Not paying attention as to who was coming around the corner, he bumped right into the only other person on the streets. Nearly falling, the other man grabbed him to steady him

Cook opened his eyes and gasped when he realized he was in Travis' arms

"Travy?" His body was electrified but his mind reminded him that Mrs Cullen may not be too far behind. Straightening himself, he took a step away from his old boyfriend.

"I'm a..lone." Anxiety was written all over Travis' features. He nervously touched his face

Cookie saw he was slowly growing his beard back and his hair was in the shortest cut he could get away with without that Cullen woman having a fit.

"You look good."

Travis gave him a crooked smile and moved his fingers to his head. "I-- I'm going to cu... cut it all of. Sh – she's gooonna hate it. Bu..but what caaan she do she's nooot al – already done?"

Cook wanted to reach out and pull Trav close. Instead, he laced his fingers together. When Travis' gaze darted around nervously, Cook asked, "It's OK. You can leave if you're not comfortable."

Travis shook his head. His gaze returned to Cookie. "Nooot going."

Cookie let out a slow breath he hadn't realized he was holding. Above them, the neon lights of the shops blinked. "Jesus help us get back to where we were."

"Do...do you th – think Jesus saves?"

Cookie nodded.

"Me...me too. But o...only when he shoops at K'Mart."

"I missed it when you were silly."

Travis reached into his pocket. When he opened his fist, a small plastic Jesus rested upon it. "Got it fo-for you."

Taking the Jesus, Cookie choked up. "Do you believe things will ever be the same?"

"No. M...maybe they c..can be better."

A moment passed when they did not want to look anywhere but at each other. Then Travis took a step close and leaned his head against Cook's chest. "I wa...want to close my eyes and b...be far away."

A shudder filled Cookie's being. He wrapped his arms around his old lover and held him close. So close he felt they could become one.

Travis added, "Any wh –where I ca...n feel like I...I do at this moment."

Fearing someone may see them, Cookie pulled Trav behind a building. "But we are here. Stuck in Heaven."

"I – I know."

"And this is all we have. All we can have."

"F –for now."

"It'll have to be enough."

Cookie let go. He slipped his hand into Trav's. The Jesus was held between their palms.

The wind slithered around the trees. It found their ankles and bit. A flake of snow fell on the bridge of Cookie's nose.

"It-it's too ear-ly."

"I think the snow knows when to fall."

Trav looked up and a flake fell on his own nose. "May–be there'll be a...a snooow storm."

"I'm sick of storms."

"Snow ain't s...so bad. It's better th –than rain." Trav gave Cook's hand a squeeze.

"Have I told you?"

"What?"

"That I missed you."

Trav pursed his lips. His heart had written a million things he could no longer say. "Me t-too."

"My heart broke a million times over when your daddy broke your back."

"He br –broke us."

"He sure did."

"Th...they aaaall did. We c –could leave like Sina and Father Caleb did."

Cook looked surprised. "You know?"

"I k..kinda put two aaand two together when b –both of them va –nished at the same t –time."

"Your mother?"

"I – I don't th...think she even knooows Sina's gone. We could go." Travis leaned his head against Cookie's chest again and breathed him in. "Maybe o –one day?"

Cookie looked at the way rogue flakes danced in the lampposts. Maybe he could take Travis away once he made it big. No one would be able to touch them then. "One fine day, Travy."

The ticket was his chance. One given to him by his dear friend. Sina and Caleb had taken a chance. He didn't want to grow old thinking What if I had tried?

"I promise." All he could do was try. And...you never know, sometimes stories have happy endings after all. 

THE END

Thank you to everyone who read this version and the old one! I hope you enjoyed the story and the bonus chapters. See, I can write happy endings! :D