chapter 11: hymn

Standing behind the wooden lectern, Caleb surveyed his new congregation. He barely remembered a time when he was simply known as Cal Hill and not Father Our Holy Savior and Jesus Wannabe as certain people – like Delores Cullen – thought of him as. Lines had long since blurred between the man he had been and the lie he now was.

Cal saw the way Delores gazed at him from her seat in the front pew. Even though it was a rainy and horrible gray morning, Delores looked as pleased as punch. What a glorious day! She had exclaimed upon stepping foot onto the churchyard not twenty minutes ago. She had been grinning like she saw some invisible sunshine even though it looked like it was night rather than day. Now, sitting in the warmth of the church, Cal saw tiny raindrops clinging to her frizzy hair. Delores' hands were pressed against her chest as if something divine had taken her breath away. Her plump fingers clutched a lacy handkerchief which was dotted with miniature cherubs flashing their naked butts at the altar. Delores' eyes rolled as if she was in a permanent state of Nirvana.

Cal pursed his lips in a fake smile to stop himself from scowling. He knew people like Delores. He knew how they thought they were God's servants when in all honesty, they were nothing but prejudiced busybodies. 

Delores may have made Saint Agatha's sparkle like a new dime, but Caleb thought she'd have to do a lot of scrubbing in her soul to wash away the filth that had accumulated in regard to the way she perceived people who were not like her – that dirty black person for instance who Father Cal saw sitting silently in the very back by the drippy raincoats and umbrellas, in an area no one else wanted to sit in. The man's hands were clasped onto his lap. From under a wide-brimmed orange hat, dark eyes looked proudly ahead – ignoring everyone but Father Caleb. Yet Cal could see the faintest glimmer of tears in the corners of the lonely man's sad eyes.

There were twelve parishioners in Saint Aggy's, including Delores and her son, Travis who kept fidgeting and looking shyly over his shoulder while his mother's eyes remained glazed. There were the Delanys (but not all five of them since the two eldest had left for university) sitting behind the Cullens. The Delanys looked like carbon copies of each other with their short curly brown hair and uncountable freckles. Sarah Green sat elbow to elbow with her sister Louise and a baby who looked a lot like James Cooper (who sat on the opposite side of the church and kept looking down at his lap whenever anyone glanced his way). Joel Patterson was there as was his great-aunt Marsha – a thimble-sized woman with a halo of silvery hair. Marsha, who when introduced by Delores before church, had yelled at father Cal that she was very happy to meet him all while her nephew kept pointing to his ears and mouthing, She forgot to wear her hearing aids again.

Cal couldn't help but let his gaze trickle to the dark-skinned man sitting far away from everyone in the very back. Just before church, Delores had introduced everyone to Father Caleb – except for the man. As the man had been taking his seat, Delores had hissed in Cal's ear, That's Cook Emanuel Jackson. He works in that disgusting place I told you about. I don't cast stones Father, but he should not be here. We don't want him. When Delores had emphasized the we, Travis had looked down at his feet and whimpered softly. Father Cal understood Mr. Jackson was not wanted. But the man had held his head high and offered Cal a friendly smile when their eyes met.

Caleb glanced briefly at the window. Though it was early, the day was overcast and miserably dark. The lack of sun made him feel like he was holding midnight mass rather than a morning one, and that he should be out hunting rather than preaching.

But here he was. And twelve pairs of eyes were turned his way.

Caleb ran his fingertips over the bible resting on the lectern. Each letter was slightly raised. B is for Bastard, Caleb thought, I for Indignant. B is for Bullshit. L is for liar. E is for... Dear God, will they figure out I am a fraud? In the back of his brain, he heard a spider rushing along her web and quickly capturing her prey. When he looked to the corner, he saw the tiny creature entrapping a wasp twice her size. If she can do the seemingly impossible, so can I. Drawing in a deep breath, he addressed his congregation in a voice like thunder. "Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you," his palm slapped down on the bible, "Yes, I will help you," grabbing the Holy Book, he lifted it for all to see. "I will uphold you with My righteous right hand."