chapter 39: Heaven

When Sunday came, Caleb put on the priest's collar one last time. He would always believe and he would always hunger. But he was not a priest. He never had been. God would never come closer no matter what Cal did. That was something he'd have to accept.

The parishioners entered the church like a swarm of bees. The church was buzzing with scandalous chit-chat as the congregation filled the seats. Gossipy tongues stopped wagging the moment they sat down. Faces smiled up at the pulpit, eyes alight with false piety.

The walls of Saint Agatha's had seen and heard a lot from both wondrous and wicked.

Even though Caleb knew there would be no reply from the church itself, he silently prayed she would at least forgive him for foolishly not inviting Sina in and having him suffer. He is good. Better than most.

As Delores and her minions stared up at him with an All-Holy look in their eyes, Cal's gaze shifted to Mr. Jackson. Caleb smiled when he saw a secret look pass between Cook. E and Travis Cullen. Something like the way Sina looked at him. There's good in the sinner. There's evil in the saint. Before he began the sermon, he prayed Cook and Travis would find a way to be together. Somehow. Someday.

Caleb touched his bible as Sina's wisdom echoed in his ear. "This isn't wrong. We are not wrong. Our sins are going to be things we carry but if I'm carrying them with you then I'm good." The words warmed him and gave him hope where before he'd only felt eternal suffering.

Sina's and my sins are pebbles. They will not weigh us down. I cannot say the same for the others and their Herculean wrongdoings. Looking at his congregation, he knew he could not save everyone because not everyone wanted salvation. Some wanted to burn and some were content watching others burn.

Caleb looked to the window opposite him. The day was sunny and bright. The sky was a pale blue and there were no clouds in sight. It was as though Heaven hadn't been wracked by terrible rain all this time.

Flickers of sunlight danced on the lawn. The grass and flowers that had been brought to their knees by the last rainfall found a way to rise again. Defiant. Resilient.

Caleb glanced at the sleeping iron Jesus near him. You know. You understand. Don't you? Love is just that...love. Good. Pure. But the iron Jesus remained silent. He always did.

Knowing he'd have to begin the service, Father Cal drew in a breath and looked to his flock, "Good morning, brothers and sisters."

"It was a wonderful service, Father Caleb. Simply wonderful as always," Delores Cullen clasped Cal's hand in both of hers and gushed. "I always count the days until Sunday comes. It's the Lord's Day and we are blessed every Sunday." Smiling wide, she resembled a shark ready to attack. She leaned into Caleb and whispered, "If only more people would attend but alas, this poor town is full of sinners. Full of people of ill repute. Of gossips and those who certainly do not want what's best for you."

Casting a look around, Cal saw the ones Delores was talking about. All her minions were waiting for her. Huddled by the door, they snickered and spoke maliciously in hushed tones. They thought Caleb could not hear and so they verbally attached Cook, Travis, and the fact that Evan's had run out of chocolate almond cake last Sunday.

He nodded and leaned in to reply. "I must agree with you."

By the coat rack, where the drippy raincoats and umbrellas usually hung, Cal saw Cook drop his scarf. Before he realized it, Travis jogged over, picked it up, and handed it to him.

Oblivious to what was happening behind her, Delores let out a dramatic sigh and added. "If only we had more good folk."

Father Caleb saw the way Mr. Jackson's hand lingered a second longer on Travis'. "If only," he agreed.

He did not tell anyone he would be leaving. They'd figure it out when there was no church next Sunday. He suspected another priest would be arriving in Heaven sooner or later. Perhaps he'd be a good man. Good enough to put everything wrong right. Good enough to change things. But Cal doubted it.

The last of the congregation got into their cars before Sina walked through the churchyard right towards Cook who was standing on the sidewalk watching Trav's ol' car turn the bend.

Sina pulled out a pack of cigarettes from his pocket – crumpled but new – he tapped Cook on the shoulder and handed the pack to his friend.

Cal watched Cook bop Sina playfully on the head with the pack. "Lord almighty, babe! He picked up my scarf when it had fallen and gave it to me."

"Trav?"

"No, Gandhi. Yes, Trav. Loooordy! I could have died on the spot. I'm going to get the biggest cake Evan's has available. I'm going to put on some good ol' jazz, eat and celebrate. You want to join or..." Cook looked over his shoulder at Caleb. He smiled at the priest and then looked back to Sina, "you in a rush?"

Sina shrugged. "Rain-check?"

"Boy, spare me with any talk of rain. If it happens again, I'm building an ark and floating away." A flicker of sadness passed over Cookie's face. "I'm going to leave before I tell you I'm going to miss your skinny ass again; instead I'm going to tell you I'm going to the bakery before the wicked witch gets there and howls about how badly she needs the biggest cake. No amount of sweets can make that woman anything but a sour-patch person."

"I'll see ya, Cookie." Sina twiddled his fingers.

Cook held up the pack of smokes and touched them to his head like a salute before heading off.

"Hey, Cal?" Sina called as he headed to the steps of the church. "Ready?"

Perhaps God was listening. Watching.Feeling what Cal felt this very moment. Maybe. Just maybe that was why Sina was here.

"He makes the sun rise on the evil," Caleb whispered to himself as he stood on the threshold and watched the last of the cars turn the corner. Then he turned and smiled at Sina, "And the good."

"Cal?"

Caleb cleared the lump from his throat. "Yes, Sina?"

"Ready to go?"

"Can I have one minute?" Caleb took one last look at his church.

"Hell, take two. We ain't never coming back here." Plopping down next to a patch of dandelions, Sina pulled his knees to his chest and looked up at the sky.

Re-entering Saint Agatha's, Caleb walked to the pulpit. He took off his collar and set it down.

In the corner, near the sleeping Jesus, a little black spider spun her web – twirling and spinning in a dark ballet.

"I'm ready," he whispered to the silent church then walked out towards Sina.

*Fun Fact: TWO BONUS chapters are coming soon!