•9

[Bucky] 1936

Since Logan left, I started to little by little despise General Smith.

Sure he offered me a higher position in the army and whatnot. But what he said to Steve had my veins boiling.

My best friend was very aware of his physical condition, he didn't need a reminder to tell him that he can't.

Throughout the whole dinner, he looked like the world had just bailed out on him and that made me feel sick in the stomach.

I felt like slamming my fist in the table and tell him to shut the hell up.

But Steve felt like playing the brave card and stand up for himself.

Sometimes I want to punch this punk, you know?

"Son, that's your family?" General Smith swiveled the red wine glass in his fingers.

"Yes sir." I responded, trying to keep calm and not lose myself in here.

"You do realize that little fellow can't join the army? Much less get a high position." He raised an eyebrow and leaned forward in his chair. "So you might as well stop putting ideas into his head that won't help at all."

That's it. I'm done with this ass.

"Look, sir. I'm very grateful for this offer, but please don't talk about my friend that way." I looked at my half-eaten plate, as a sign of respect.

"Son, you need to calm down. I'm giving you advice here." He said and the rest of the dinner was short.

Not much more talk between him and I. The only conversations going on we're the ones of his wife. Where she would mention something that happened in the town; rumors and whatnot.

Sometimes they asked for my opinion, but that was about it.

But I wanted to get out of there. All the joy from getting to the position of Sargent was cut off by Steve's small outburst and Smith's stupid 'advice'.

I had dismissed myself and found Logan and Steve hugging outside on the curb.

Let me tell you that that just made feel even more sick.

Last night I had a talk with Steve. It was mostly about his dreams and everything, but he told me something I swore not to tell Logan.

He hates the fact that he has to be protected, cared and consoled by her all the time. According to him, at the beginning it felt nice to know someone cared and everything, but for know he just wanted to be an independent man of his own.

I kind of sided with him on that, but at the same time I knew that he needed the care.

It's not like he can face the war and everything on his own.

And right now, he must feel terrible that he couldn't tell Logan to back off and let her hug him.

But lucky him, he likes her.
The sad part though: Logan may not know any of this.

They turned to look at me, while I made my way down the creaky stairs.

I waved and Logan waved back, standing up. Steve kept sitting and wiping his face.

Something tells me that we are going to have a long talk back home.

-

"It's getting late." Steve mentioned when I opened the door to the apartment.

"And is that your only excuse to avoid me?" I took my coat off and stood in my white blazer and brown pants. I leaned against the small dining table.