𝟎𝟏𝟗 ━ pistol

♡ .  🕷   . ♡

2,515 words

     "I WON'T TELL you anything." With a cheeky grin, Sky spat out diluted blood, her teeth stained by the ordeal.

     "This is only going to get worse for you, birdie." He guffawed right at her, then landed a forceful jab right below her belly; she spluttered, her eyes tightly shut as a jolting surge of pain radiated through her.

     "You're filth," In a valiant effort to conceal her pain, Sky bit her lip. She tried hard to hold back her tears as the stinging punch hammered into her stomach again. Each blow was making her head swim with disorientation. Then, the man seized her chin, obliging her to meet his gaze eye to eye.

     "What's your name, birdie?" He asked, his knuckles raw and bloodied from the harsh beating he inflicted upon her. Sky offered a sly smile and a playful giggle, before asserting confidently, "I don't owe you shit."

━━

     With a jolt, Sky awoke from the torment of her nightmares, her skin damp with a sheen of sweat that left her feeling icy cold. She could sense her heart pounding fiercely in her chest, while her lungs strived to draw in much-needed air. Her eyes darted anxiously around her surroundings, seeking solace, yet found nothing but stark walls enclosing her, filtered by the faint light trickling in through the window.

     She was increasingly gripped by a strange claustrophobic feeling, an unsettling surge of panic starting to bubble up within her. She made frantic attempts to remind herself that she was no longer confined within that metallic room. Yet, as a familiar coarse hand delicately skated across her cheek, "Hey, shh, it's okay." Simon eased his voice to a hush, drawing her gently into the reassuring shelter of his embrace.

     "You're safe, I've got you." His whisper was tender, his lips lightly gracing her hair with affection.

     She inhaled deeply, the serenity from his warm embrace enveloping her, promising a momentary sanctuary. She longed to linger in this comforting cocoon, yet as the fleeting seconds ebbed away, she felt herself gently disengage from the bond.

     "I'm sorry," She murmured, elegantly swinging her legs out from under the covers and gracefully transitioning into a seated position.

     As her bare feet graced the chilly concrete, a deep inhalation filled her lungs and tiny goosebumps broke out on her arms. "I had another horrible dream," she stated in an almost whispery tone before nestling into the comfort of his large, cozy jumper.

     "Do you want to talk about it?" He inquired, positioning himself upright on the bed.

     "No it's okay," She let out a sigh, "I'll be okay," She swiveled to meet his gaze, her eyes brimming with a nebulous sorrow, and he exhaled a sigh, brimming with empathy. "I'm just going to grab a bite to eat, I'll be back." A brief grin dances on her lips for an instant.

     "I'll catch up with you. Just going to have a shower and get myself sorted," he expressed, offering her an empathetic grin.

     With a sense of defeat, she silently exited the room; her heart continued to reverberate within her chest as the remnants of her nightmare lingered. Regardless, she managed to keep a veneer of calm, progressing towards the rec room with the same resilient demeanor. Like a journey through uniformity, she traversed through indistinguishable hallways that led to her final destination. Despite her outward portrayal of composure, the trembling of her hands belied her true feeling of disquiet.