"So, you don't have a good relationship with your mom?" I asked, struggling to stay awake.

He continued in a quiet voice, "She doesn't care about me. All she cares about is her image."

"And your stepsister?"

"She's a year younger. She came to PSU because of me, I think. I should have paid more attention to her. God knows she can't rely on her dad or my mom. She started having problems and I was too caught up in my own shit to notice. And then there was the situation with Cody's ex. He told you about that, right?"

"Yeah," I said, recalling what Alicia had mentioned. "Do you think...it was more Alicia or Cody's ex?"

"In what sense?"

"Did Cody's ex ever come onto you?" I asked, rephrasing my question.

His body grew stiff. "Did Cody tell you that?"

"No. Alicia did," I admitted.

"When did you talk to her?"

"After I found you at school. Stop avoiding the question."

"Yeah," he admitted after a pause.

I sucked in a breath. "Does Cody know?"

"No."

"And you talk to me about..."

His hand brushed down my spine in slow caressing strokes. "We were already having problems at that time. I didn't want to make things worse, so I ignored it. And like I said, it's a sensitive topic for him."

We both lapsed into silence again. His fingers traced soothing patterns down my back. I hadn't felt this comfortable in ages.

My eyelids grew heavy as I whispered, "The drug raid... Is it somehow connected to all of this?" I mumbled.

"Yeah," he said softly.

His steady heartbeat lulled me into slumber. The last words I heard before drifting off were, "Nobody messes with my sister, even if we're not related by blood."

I blinked at the sunlight streaming through the half-closed blinds

I blinked at the sunlight streaming through the half-closed blinds. The spot next to me was empty but still warm. Killian had to have just left. I threw off the covers and searched for the closest bathroom. My skin felt dry and I spent a few minutes vigorously scrubbing it before slathering on a generous amount of moisturizer. At least the itching had subsided.

I padded into the living looking for Killian when Cody spoke up, startling me. "Morning. You hungry?" He closed the door to his room and headed towards the kitchen.

Briefly, I wondered if he had noticed me leaving Killian's room, but then I dismissed the thought. It didn't matter.

"No. I'm good." My stomach chose that moment to remind me that it disagreed. I hadn't even realized I was hungry.