CHAPTER SIX

October 2nd, 2023 - New Orleans, Louisiana

She halted all of the vampire's kicks and punches in the middle of the field as she was training her new strength and abilities. She thought that being a vampire would make everything a hundred times easier, but it seems as though she was having trouble controlling her own body. She would randomly burst out running at the speed of light and end up in a trash can in another part of the city. Or her eyeballs would suddenly turn red, veins popping out from the pockets under them, and her fangs would protrude out of her mouth when she so much as sees a decent-looking man. It was absurd. She felt like she was going through the worst puberty ever, times a hundred.

She groaned in annoyance as she kicked the ground, laying there. She breathed hard and looked up at the clear blue skies, getting exhausted.

"Come on, up!" her trainer and fellow vampire, Josh Rosza said.

"I'm done," she whispered to herself.

"No, you're not. On your feet, soldier!"

She rolled her eyes and lazily picked herself up. She huffed a breath and put some stranded hair away from her face.

"Can you please stop screaming at me?" she said, "I've had the worst few weeks of my life."

"Yeah, you killed your own dad and turned yourself into a vampire. What news," Josh said in sarcasm.

"Can't we do something else? Like, spot something tiny or whatever, train my vampire sight?"

"You need to learn to control your vampire speed, strength, and urges. The faster you get this over with, the sooner you can play hero or whatever."

She groaned in annoyance again and he rolled his eyes, laying off his tough act.

"Look, come on!" he whined, "I hate this as much as you do. I'm not cut out to be a vampire trainer! So help us both and quit whining!"

She sighed heavily and readied her stance. The two started doing hand-to-hand combat fighting again, just in time for Marcel to show up. He parked his black sedan in the parking lot and exited his vehicle, walking over to them with a huge smile on his face.

"Hey, Grace," he greeted.

She turned to him with a big smile.

"Oh, hey–"

Before she could finish her sentence, Josh accidentally punched her in the face and she dropped to the ground. Josh paused his form in shock when he did that.

"Oops. Sorry," he said.

Marcel walked past him.

"You need to work on your left jab," he commented, and Josh gave him a lame expression.

Marcel offered Grace his hand and she took it as he easily lifted her up.

"I see that training's a little bit hard for you," he noticed.

"Oh, no, no. It's just...I'm still readjusting to the whole vampire thing," she said politely, "but I'll be fine."

"Don't worry, I get it. I remember the first time Josh turned into a vampire," he answered and turned to Josh who just looked at him with a frown, "I wish I could forget it."

"Oh, Josh has been a wonderful help with training. It's just...my mind has been elsewhere."

"Wanna grab some coffee?" Marcel offered, and the two went off.

"Oh yeah, I don't need coffee, thanks for asking!" Josh called out to them.

The two went into a coffee shop close by and scanned the menu. Grace ordered bottled water and a cup of iced black coffee while Marcel ordered a mug of hot black coffee. They sat down on one of the empty tables and she sighed in relief.