The bear, standing over her like those cold statues in the cemetery, its warm breath falling directly on her face.

The softness of his hair against her hands. How she tangled her fingers in it when he kissed her.

The bear snapped his gaze away from her, looking away to a distant place, his ears twitching.

How his hands tightened around her waist when they danced together. The warmth his body radiated when they got closer.

The bear's neck was snapped and flung off from her.

Strong arms holding her, tense underneath her weight. His cheek pressed against her forehead and a row of mumbled and broken prayers.

"Margaret..." His voice is soft and velvety against her skin. "I love you."

***

Margaret had stolen his hat again. He turned the whole house upside down looking for it in the morning. Jasper would be late to the sheriff's office if he didn't find it immediately.

Outside, Margaret laid, stomach down on the grass, her head held by her right hand as she scribbled with her quill stories that walked through her mind. On her head rested Jasper's cowboy hat, shielding the sun from her eyes, and surrounding her with his scent. It was almost as if he was right behind her. Suddenly, a pair of strong firm hands hugged her from behind and pulled her upwards. She laughed deeply, feeling her beloved tighten his arms around her waist.

"You stole my hat, and I'll be late because of it." He murmured in amusement into her ear. His hand plucked the hat from her head and placed it on his. She turned around to face him, their eyes locking swiftly. Her soft fingers caressed his cheek as she pushed a strand of his golden hair behind his ear. Then she planted a quick kiss on his lips and giggling she twisted his hat on at an angle.

"Well then, Major, better not keep them waiting." She ended.

From the doorway, she watched how Jasper left for the office.

He never came back.

***

After Jasper had heard the screams, he ran faster than he had in his entire life.

"Jasper!" He ignored his brother's calls as they followed after him, he could only make out the whispers of help his mate was sending him. In a matter of minutes, he began to recognize the woods as he got closer to their home. He began smelling her, feeling her. There was so much fright within her, but all of a sudden it ceased. Margaret was no longer scared. He reached her then, she was laying numbly on the ground, rocking her head from side to side slowly, as if trying to make out what was happening. The bear was right on top of her, but it snapped toward them as they got within its earshot. The anger that was boiling with Jasper made everything quicker. He tackled the bear hastily, as Carlisle knelt beside Margaret. He smelt her blood. Edward was holding Michael tightly, both a little tense.

"Take the bear, we'll handle this," Carlisle said calmly. Edward and Michael dragged the bear away as Carlisle stood. "Come, Jasper." He ordered, his voice never losing its ease. Jasper tensed, he didn't want to hurt her, not more than he had already, but still he obeyed. He stood over her, her eyes unfocusing and closing, but he could hear her heartbeat. In a rapid motion, he picked her up in his arms. Her forehead had a smear of blood on it, but Jasper wasn't drawn to it. He rested his forehead on hers and murmured her name softly.

"I love you." He hummed into her skin.

Jasper hovered over Margaret for a few minutes, even if Carlisle had assured him that she was fine, that she had simply fainted and would wake up in no time. Even if the only thing she would remember was hitting her head and waking with its pounding, Jasper knew it had been his fault. He had been a coward, facing away from the mating bond is something you cannot do, mostly if your mate is mortal, and he knew it. After Carlisle had checked her vitals and laid her on the couch, Alice called Charlie.

"Chief Swan, how can I be of service?" He answered monotonously.

"Mr. Swan?" Alice began. "I'm Alice Cullen." She introduced herself. From the other side of the line, Charlie shifted. The whole room stood expectantly.

"Ah yes, you're Maggs friend." He stated the joy in his voice clear.

"I wanted to let you know that Maggie was over at my house." She began to explain.

"Is she alright?" Charlie questioned, getting a little concerned.

"Oh, well you see, she was walking by and tripped." She lied, "I was in the garden and saw her. I brought her in so Carlisle could check her..." She drifted.

"Alice, could I have a word with Doctor Cullen?" Charlie said, his voice quivering.

"Oh, yes of course." She answered.

"Thanks," Charlie replied. Alice handed the phone to Carlisle who answered with his usual calm voice.

"Hello, Chief Swan." He greeted.

"Is she alright? Is it serious do i-" Charlie had started to ramble.

"Yes, Mr. Swan, she's perfectly fine. She just has a headache." He assured him. Through the phone, a loud sigh of relief was heard.

"Well, then, thank you, for going through all this trouble," Charlie said.

"Oh, it was no trouble," Carlisle assured him. "She just needs some rest." He concluded.

"When's a good time to pick her up?" Charlie inquired.

"Alice and Rosalie can take her to school tomorrow, and she can spend the night, of course, if you allow it." Carlisle offered. Charlie sounded convinced.

"Alright, then. Thanks again." He responded. "Please keep me posted." He pleaded.

"Will do." Carlisle finished. The call ended and Carlisle handed the phone back to Alice. He looked right at Jasper. "You have two choices now, son." He explained. "You either tell her the truth about us." His hands motioned to the family around them "Or, we move." Jasper's eyes snapped to his father's. They were crystallized and broken, but full of life at the same time. Jasper stood.

"I'm never leaving her side again." He declared. "So I ask of you, my family." His brothers and sisters looking directly at him. "I ask of you to let me tell her our secret. I ask of you to accept her and protect her." He concluded. Rosalie was the first to walk towards him. Her eyes are hard and true. She hugged him tightly.

"I vote yes." She mumbled to his twin's ear.

"I vote hell yeah!" Emmett chorused after his mate, fist-bumping Jasper, and earning a smile from him. Esme and Carlisle walked to him too, and so did Alice and Michael, all agreeing. Edward stood uncertain for a brief second, then patted his brother's shoulder, still hesitant, and agreeing too.