"I'll go back tomorrow, try to explain it wasn't her fault." He decided.

"Michael told her you were under the weather." She said stepping back, leaving him to his thoughts.

When the sun had begun setting Jasper went out with Carlisle, and his brothers to go hunting and get his mind off of things. Then they heard the scream, and Jasper realized then, he could die again. The mating bond made you vulnerable, as vulnerable as an unprotected mortal.

Margaret had gone to the woods that evening. Charlie knew about it, of course - she wasn't planning on dying any time soon - and she sat against a tree trunk writing down snippets of her thoughts and dreams, connecting them to shape the plotline of another chapter of her book. She got a call from Alice then.

"Maggie?" She asked anxiously. "Maggie are you all right?" Margaret stood, closing her notebook with the pen holding her page.

"Alice, what's wrong?" She prompts trying to remain calm. "Is Jasper okay? Are you all okay?" A silent fear crept up her spine sending chills all over her body.

"Yes, yes we're fine." She took a breath. "Where are you?" Margaret began packing her bag hysterically.

"I'm in the woods, wait up, I'll send you my location so you can see me in GPS." She offered, her fingers shaking as they pressed the phone keys. After all, she had been raised by the Chief of police, and she always had a bottle of pepper spray in her bag. "Okay, you should get it soon. What is going on Alice?" She demanded now.

"Get out of the woods, please Maggie," Alice begged her. "There's a wild animal alarm and we don't want you getting hurt." She said. "Come to our place, it's close by." Alice sent her the location and she began following it with Alice on speaker.

"Okay, I'm nearly there, it says about five more minutes," Margaret explained. A branch snapped behind her and she was frozen in place. "Alice?" She hummed in a shudder.

"Maggie?" Alice's voice broke from the other side of the line.

"Alice please come get me!" She exclaimed in a whisper to the phone. "Please come quick." Margaret was crying now. She turned slowly. Behind her stood a black furry bear. It was walking on its four paws, his eyes fixed on her. Her tears were rolling down mercilessly as she gradually began moving backward. She knew the basics of wild animals, and she repeated them over and over, trying to keep her calm.

1. Don't startle the animal.

2. Back away slowly.

3. Walk, don't run.

4. Keep your eye on the animal.

She repeated these four rules over and over like a prayer. At a certain moment, she prayed too. She asked with all her might to be spared.

The bear dragged its paws walking towards her decisively. For those last few seconds, she couldn't hear what Alice was saying, she only thought of Jasper. And she murmured his name over and over again.

"Jasper." She mumbled.

"What? Maggie, what are you saying?" Alice sounded hysterical on the phone.

"Jasper." She repeated her voice quivering and a tiny bit louder.

"They're coming for you Maggie just hold on a little longer," Alice begged. Maggie knew the woods, if the Cullens had just moved in they wouldn't get to her in time, so she worked up all the courage she had left to scream.

"Jasper!" She yelled, her throat swelling up with her fear. The bear was caught unaware and shifted backward hesitantly. "Please, Jasper!" She screams again, still retreating. "Jasper..." Now barely a whimper. The only thing she thought of before feeling herself getting dizzy and tripping over her feet, was him. She saw the sky surrounded by trees and leaves over her head. She hit the ground harshly, her head went straight against a rock and her memories went fuzzy.