Chapter 13

We are now inside the bus on our way to the resort. Dianne's beside me, at nasa likod naman namin si Joey at Matt. At mabuti na lang at wala ang royal couple kaya kahit papaano hindi masyadong awkward ang ihip ng hangin sa trip na ito. May iba yata silang lakad at hindi ko na inalam kung ano pa iyon dahil hindi rin naman talaga ako interesado.

      I was about to sleep when Dianne suddenly begins to talk.

     "Let me show you my wallpaper" atsaka niya itinutok sa harap ko ang phone niya.

     "Dianne!" galit na sigaw ko sa kanya when I saw what it was. It's the picture that I sent to her of me wearing the red bikini. Namula pa ako nang makita kong napatingin ang mga tao sa akin nang sumigaw ako. She just mumbled at me while smiling.

     "Relax, Nicky. You know I'm just kidding"

     "Delete that" I said commanding her.

     "I will. But first...you'll have to do enjoy with me on this trip. Tutulugan mo lang naman kasi ako sigurado kaya I'll hold you hostage on this vacation" she said viciously and I just gave up.

     "Fine" sagot ko sa kanya kahit na labag sa loob ko.

     "Good girl" sabi niya and she almost pat my head with her hand but I rejected her hand, and she just laughed.

     When we arrived sa resort, kaagad akong hinila ni Dianne para tignan ang mga kwarto. She said, she  wanted to make sure na magkasama kami sa isang kwarto. Well, she doesn't have to. Wala naman kasing ibang pipili sa akin kung hindi siya lang.

     But we both got surprised that there are only two huge rooms sa top floor ng bahay na tutuluyan namin. There are signs at the door, and our eyes grew even wider when we entered the room with the "Girls" sign on it.

     Nakahilera ang mga mattress sa loob ng kwarto. Which means, tabi-tabi ang lahat sa pagtulog. At pinili ko na lang ang spot sa dulo sa right side, and everybody agreed. Probably because I'm doing them a favor. Dianne chose the spot beside me, of course, at katabi naman niya si Joyce on the other side.

     Pagkatapos namin mag-ayos ng gamit ni Dianne, lumabas na kami ng bahay. We went to the beach, and there we saw Kevin sitting quietly at the shore. He's wearing a grey tshirt and a navy colored short. Dianne approached him and I just followed her.

     "How's your room Kev?" tanong niya kay Kevin and he just flashed a smile when he saw us.

     "It's huge" tipid na sagot niya. Dianne then sits beside him, and I just stand behind her.

     It was nice meeting Kevin. And after we drank last time, we became much closer. But the sad part is, after this vacation, we won't see each other again kasi babalik na sila sa work nila sa dati nilang branch.

     That's why I'm tolerating Dianne, because after this, life will return back to normal. But at least for now, I just want to enjoy our time together.

     We were all quietly listening to the sound of the waves when Joey suddenly calls for us. He said we needed to prepare for our lunch.

     Dianne and I were assigned to cook Adobo. Siyempre she was leading both of us kasi ayokong mag-volunteer kahit na marunong naman akong magluto. Baka kasi hindi nila kainin kapag nalaman nilang ako nag nagluto, at sayang naman ang effort ni Dianne kung ganoon ang mangyayari.

     We successfully cooked a proper meal, at nang matapos na kami kumain. Naghanda na ang lahat para mag-swimming.

     I wore a a simple one piece black swimsuit and I top it with a mesh cover up to make it more less revealing. And when I saw Dianne, I didn't say anything and I just smiled at her when I saw her wearing only the top part of what I chose for her, and she just paired it with a black high waisted short.

     In the end, she feels insecure again.

     On the other hand, Joyce started to paint her canvasses,so Dianne and I were the first one from the girls to get out.

     Nadatnan namin ang mga lalaki na busy na sa pag-swimming nang pumunta na kami sa beach. Except from Kevin. He was just sitting on the same spot earlier at nakatingin lang siya sa malayo.

     Hinila ako ni Dianne sa tubig even when I'm against it. Pinakita niya lang naman sa akin ulit ang picture ko sa phone niya kaya sumunod na lang ako sa kanya.

     The boys are playing with a ball and they naturally let us join when they saw us. Joey smiled at me and I just smiled back at him. We were having fun playing but then the guys got distracted when they saw Joyce coming.

     She's wearing a two piece yellow colored bikini. It wasn't too revealing, but not too modest either. And I know I said na payat si Joyce, but with what she's wearing right now, I could see why the guys kept on staring at her. Because the color yellow makes her slim body more flattering.

     At dahil nga nakatulala sila, I took the chance to get out of the water.

     "Where are you going?" tanong ni Dianne sa akin.

     "Forgot to put sunscreen" dahilan ko sa kanya.

     "But you already did" confused niyang sabi.

     "Not enough" dagdag ko pa, atsaka na ako umahon sa tubig. Didiretso na sana ako sa bahay pero bigla kong napansin si Kevin. And I just find myself going towards in his direction. And when I sit beside him, he said something.

      "Is it my turn again?" tanong niya habang nakatingin lang sa malayo, and it made me smile.

     "Did we agreed to take turns...again?" nakangiti kong sabi, at diretso lang ang tingin namin sa dagat. We were both just quiet at akala ko nagbibiro lang siya. Pero I suddenly felt serious with what he said next.

     "I saw her yesterday"

     "Who?"

     "Alice...younger sister of Miles" seryoso niyang sabi. "She's---" he was about to say something when Joyce suddenly calls for him.

     "Kevin! Come on, join us!" invitation niya kay Kevin. But he just smiled at her. Hindi naman nagpatalo si Joyce kaya naman she started to walk towards us. When she's already in front of us, she tries to persuade Kevin one more time.

     "Come on, Kev"

     "I don't know how to swim anymore" he said to Joyce and I looked at him with pain because I remembered the relation of Miles and the ocean.

     This is why life sucks. When bad things happened, you just can't feel the same way about certain things anymore. And even if you know how how to do things naturally, when something bad happened, you just suddenly don't know how to anymore. Crap, what Am I even saying?

     But that's what happened to Kevin and the ocean.

     "But we have to take a groupie" pilit pa ni Joyce while pouting her lips, and I almost cringe---out loud, but I stopped myself.

     "Okay, just one photo" pagpayag ni Kevin. Atsaka na siya tumayo and then he offered his hand to me para makatayo na rin ako. But then, Joyce held the same hand that Kevin offers to me, and then she pulls him away from me and they both went where everyone's at.

     Ako naman, tumayo na rin ako atsaka dumiretso sa loob ng bahay.

     I decided to go to the kitchen. Hindi ko kasi gaanong natignan nang maayos ito kanina kasi maraming tao. I opened the kitchen pantry cabinet and saw a lot of eggs. Kaya naman I decided to make something sweet. Because I suddenly craved for Leche flan.

     After I made a caramel sugar on a large pan, I cracked a whole carton of eggs. And then I separated the egg whites from the yolks. I whisked the yolks gently, and then I poured in the condensed and the evaporated milk. When I'm already setting the steamer, somebody came inside the kitchen as well.

     He's face was red---not from the exposure of the sun, but from the effect of alcohol. He walk towards me, and I moved away as he got more closer.