01 | shattered hearts

Angeline:

Angeline:

When I was younger, I watched as my father cried on the porch steps. My parents had just finished a huge argument and he thought it was best to be away from my mother. He ran his hands through his hair and cursed at the wind. He kept his head down low and didn't move for a while.

While, my mother sat at the dining room table, also crying. She placed a hand over her trembling lips as a desperate sob escaped her lips. She hugged herself, trying so hard not to make a sound.

I've always seen their fights unravel like war. I've always heard the words that have been said and done. I also know their marriage hasn't always been the greatest. Nonetheless, every time they fought, they ended up being okay the next day.

But I knew something was wrong this time.

When he came back inside, he went upstairs into their bedroom. My brother and I followed him. We kept a safe distance by the door, watching as he packed a suitcase full of clothes and took his car keys off the drawer. When he was about to leave, he saw us and that's when he stopped in his tracks. He kept a brave face for the sake of his children, but I knew he was hurting.

We all were.

"Where are you going, papa?" Luke softly whispered from beside me, tightening his hold around my index finger.

Placing his things down, he made his way over to us. He kneeled to our level and hugged us hard. I could feel him grabbing the material of the sweater I wore as his breath hitched.

"I'm going away for a little bit," he softly said.

"Why?" I asked.

"Your mother is very angry at me."

I frowned, "Will you be back?"

He didn't respond. Pulling away, he held the top of my shoulders and stared into my eyes. "Mija, take care of your brother while I'm gone, okay?"

"Are you coming back?" I needed an answer.

"Angeline, promise me." He gripped harder, tears on the verge of escaping.

"I will."

With that, he kissed the top of our heads and hugged us one last time. He retrieved his things and before I knew it, he left and drove away, never looking back.

On that day, my mother promised she would never forget. And as for me, I promised I would never fall into the depths of love if it doesn't even exist.

__

Friday nights usually consisted of my mom passing out on the living room couch with a wine glass in her hand. Since the divorce, she's been distracting herself with work and coping at home by drinking her feelings out.

A sigh escapes my lips as I inspect the scene in the living room. I grab the nearest blanket and put it over my mom's body, taking the alcohol away too. I smile a bit when I brush a strand of her hair back, revealing her mouth hung wide open, snoring.

Peering at the leftover wine in the glass, I impulsively gulp the liquid down, heat burning the back of my throat. Wincing, I clean up the rest of the mess and finish up with the dishes left in the sink.

Once the rack was organized, I headed for my room. I rub my eyes tiredly, letting out a yawn. However, I find Luke sitting at the top of the staircase with a teddy bear held close to his chest.

"Why aren't you in bed yet, bud?" I question as I make my way to him.

"I was waiting for you," he whispers quietly.

Ruffling the top of his head, the corner of my lips turns upwards. "You didn't have to. It's late."

"I wanted to. Plus, I need someone to tuck me in."

"Alright," I laugh tenderly. "Let's tuck you in then, yeah?"

I bring my hand out and extend my fingers. He takes hold of it and I lead him into the dimness of his bedroom. He shuffles underneath his covers but pauses, lifting the blanket up. He signals for me to snuggle next to him and I do. We both move around, trying to get comfortable.

I prop my elbow, holding my head up, gaping at my little brother as I toyed with his hair gently. He stares at the ceiling, specifically the stars I painted for him a few years ago. Luke's really into space. When we were younger, we played astronauts and pretended the galaxy was our heaven.

"Angeline?" He breathes.

"Mm," I hum.

"I promise."

"Promise what?"

"To never hurt women like dad did."

We both frown at the thought of him again. I can feel my heart swell and my jaw clenching. "Really?" I continue to stroke strands of his hair.

"Yeah, I cross my heart."

I hold back the desperate tears and force a smile, "Okay, thank you."