16 - The Cost of Cards

The laughing turned into crying, and the crying turned into screaming. They had taken your friends, and it was all Chishiya's fault. He had set them up. Kuina had plead to you that she hadn't known, but she was clearly still on that white haired devils side. You would never forgive him for this. Your heart was breaking. Apparently Arisu and Usagi had been taken too undisclosed locations within The Beach, they were likely going to kill them, maybe worse. You needed to find them as soon as possible, but first you were going to deal with that piece of shit Chishiya. Following Kuina outside the resort, we find Chishiya leaning against the building casually. You scanned his face, ready for him to show signs of remorse or anything to indicate he cared, but nothing. He was as empty as ever. Storming up to him you push him hard into the wall, "You fucking Snake. Sending them to get the cards from the safe and then calling the Militants so they would get caught? You betrayed us."

He shrugged, "It was nothing personal, just needed to be done. There is a reason for everything I do."

You laugh, "God you seriously think you're the smartest guy in the world don't you? I know that you found those stupid cards Chishiya, right behind that god damn Stag painting."

Chishiya jerked his head up in suprise as you continued, "That's right, I figured out your little plan. You sacrificied our friends and you couldn't care less. They might die because of you and here you are relaxing. You are selfish and cruel. I should've listened to everyone when they said not to trust you. Real people aren't tools to use in your little games Chishiya, you decieved me."

A flash hurt crossed his eyes, "I would never betray you and Kuina you know that."

Shaking your head you meet his eyes, trying to pour in the waves of emotion you were currently feeling, "If you cared about me Chishiya, you wouldn't have got our friends caught, likely killed. You can tell yourself whatever you want, but the moment you betrayed them you betrayed me."

His gaze turned cold and you looked away, you would never forgive him for this. You felt your heart physically rip from your chest, you hated that you had just began to love him. Kuina put a hand on your shoulder and gave you a sympethetic look, "Chishiya you know she is right, we need to fix this. Let's go find them together." You smiled up at your tall friend, at least someone had a heart here. Chishiya shook his head and began to walk out of the resort, how could he not even try? Fine, let him go. We were better off without him anyway. Just as he was about to pass the arched frame a glimmer of red caught your attention and you called out for him to stop.He halted and half turned back around with a look of disinterest. Rolling your eyes, you grab Kuina's number wristband and threw it through the frame, where it was struck and destroyed by a lazer instantly. Kuina gasped and Chishiya's eyes widened. He took a small step forward, the lines of the lazer grid appearing, blocking off the entire exit.

Holy shit, we were in a game, and The Beach itself was the Arena.

You choke on laughter, "Guess your not going anywhere pretty boy, unless you want a hole through your snake of a face."

Scowling he followed us back inside to the main lobby where the sounds of screaming echoed the halls. We reached the giant foyer and it was utter chaos, who the hell had died in here? Your eyes widen as you spot the body of a girl on the floor, knife in her chest. Oh shit, guess someone really did die. The poor girl looked so young, her friend was wailing by her side. After quickly finding some phones left on a table, we discovered that the aim of this game was to find the killer and burn their body at the back of the resort. It also happened to be the last card that we needed to complete our set of number cards, we still hadn't had a face card yet. Chishiya's eyes lit up, of course he only cared about the card. It happened so fast, people began screaming at each other, accusing other people of doing it, questioning their whereabouts at the time of the girls death, finger pointing to her best friend. You immediatley understood, this game was designed to get people to turn on each other. Chishiya had disappeared at this point, and just as you noticed the militants came storming in, alongside Niragi. They walked right up to the body and demanded to know who it was and that they came forward before they began killing everyone. As they were scanning the room the threat hanging heavy in the air, Niragi spotted you through the crowd and gave you a filthy smile, "Let's get this done quickly so I can finish off my lunch, your friend Usagi is delicious."

You almost vomit in horror, what had he done to her? Ripping towards him, Kuina holds you back. She whispers in your ear as you hiss towards the foul human, "He has a gun you're only going to get yourself killed. Let's go and find them while they are distracted." You painfully whip your head away from Niragi, she was right. Attacking him now was exactly what he wanted, we needed to get out of here alive if we wanted to save our friends. His attention once again diverted back to the desceased girls friend who he raised his gun up to and started yelling at. He looked as if he were about to hit the trigger when Usagi ran between the two, pleading for everyone to have reason. Relief filled your soul, thank god she was ok. You and Kuina ran over and stood beside her, eyes glistening with tears.

"You aren't going to hurt this girl." You yelled out, "There must be another way we can find out who the Witch is, killing everyone will achieve nothing." There were a few murmers of agreement, although the militants didn't seem to agree, in fact they became even more aggrivated. Ann then appeared, slicing through the crowd to where we stood in the centre.

"The Hatter didn't die in the game, he was murdered." She called out, silence echoing the now quiet room. She continued, "I just analysed the body, Aguni killed The Hatter. He killed his friend, our leader." Gasps erupted from the crowd, you weren't even the slightest bit suprised.

"We need to find Arisu." Usagi whispered as Kuina kept talking, "Let's slip out of here before this gets ugly." You and Kuina nod in agreement and started slipping through the crowd quietly, that was when the yelling started back up, and not long after shots were fired. You, Usagi and Kuina start running towards the stairs and you glance back to see the militants gunning down everyone in sight, they weren't even trying to figure out who actually did it. People were fleeing in all directions and you heard them shout orders to kill everyone and throw them in the fire outside, they were truly monsters. Amongt the screaming and firing there was laughter erupting from Niragi and the Militants, they were enjoying this. You bite back the disguist and tears and sprint to the bottom of the staircase. Huffing, Kuina stops and faces us, "We are going to have to split up if we want to cover area faster, I'll take downstairs you guys head up, just please stay safe and we will meet in the lobby once we find them." We all murmer in agreement and embrace for a moment before splitting up, you were going to cover the top floor and the roof whilst Kuina took the rooms on the other levels. We were going to find him, we had too. Usagi gave you one last glance of determination, but you could tell she was scared. He might not even be alive, it could be too late, the worry could all but consume you, but it wouldn't. It won't. Your mind flickered back to the person who had caused all of this, the man you had trusted. Your heart still hurt but now anger flared inside of you.

Chishiya betrayed us, and he was going to pay. You should never had left your heart vulnerable, because this was no fucking fairytail, it was the Borderlands.