"Look what you've done!" Hermione scolded a very distressed Ron. she spun on her heel and went in the direction Annabeth had gone.

***

Annabeth didn't know how she found the room. She needed to let off steam, and suddenly there she was. She had been walking through the halls of Hogwarts, fuming, when she passed a door that hadn't been there the second before.

The room beyond the door was a magical version of a gym– meaning that there were mortal workout machines, but without any mechanics. There were treadmills, bench presses, an entire running track and obstacle course like on American Ninja Warrior, a freshwater pool, and every workout machine Annabeth could think of.

She was too angry to question it. She hopped on the nearest treadmill, put on the safety bracelet, and cranked up the speed to six. She could go faster, but she didn't want to tire herself out before classes ended.

Distantly she remembered that her free was going to end at some point, but she was too lost in the rhythmic pounding of her feet to care.

The memories were so painful. Luke, kneeling on the ground, desperately trying to hold back Kronos from forming. Luke, who had taken care of her since she was seven. Luke, who had tried to kill her so many times.

Bob, who had jumped into Tartarus for her and Percy, despite them never visiting him in the underworld. Bob, who had protected them and led them to safety. Bob, who had given them a way to survive. Bob, who had sacrificed himself so that Annabeth and Percy could escape.

Damason, who didn't know them, who had fed them and gave them rest and supplies, all in return for a story. Damason, who had saved both her and Percy's lives by giving them travel packs and Annabeth a weapon. Damason, who had broken his curse just to distract Tartarus, his father, so that Annabeth and Percy could get to safety.

And so many others. Their names came with every pounding step on the treadmill. Bianca. Zoë. Castor. Micheal. Lee. Beckendorf. Silena. Olive. And so many more. Too many more. All because Annabeth was too stupid to see the signs of Luke's betrayal.

By the time she realized she was crying, Annabeth's eyes were blurred with tears. She pulled the safety pin out of the treadmill, and it shuddered to a stop.

Annabeth hated when this happened. She would start out with one negative thought, and before she knew it, her thought process would spiral it into a million, until she was sobbing on the floor.

By the time she had the presence of mind to be aware of her surroundings, she realized her socks were stained red.

"Oh, Styx," she muttered, wiping her cheeks. The stupid Hogwarts uniform shoes weren't made for running.

Annabeth slipped them off carefully and set them on the ground. She felt a lot better already. Her anger was mostly gone, and so was the lingering worry and stress from this entire quest. She felt refreshed. Sometimes a good cry is exactly what you need.

The door opened before Annabeth could get her socks off. Quickly, Annabeth wiped the rest of the tears off her face and tried to look as casual as she could look while sitting at the edge of a magic treadmill wearing bloody socks. She heard a gasp, and then Hermione rounded the bend.

"I've never seen this room before," she said, in awe. Then she saw Annabeth and rushed over, sitting next to her on the treadmill. "Are you okay? I'm so sorry about what Ron said, I know he didn't mean it, he just gets like that sometimes! What happened to your feet?"

"Stiff school shoes," Annabeth said, slowly peeling a sock off, "are not good for running."

"I'm sorry for asking, but—" Hermione seemed to muster up her courage. "Did what happened have anything to do with what you said about that Geryon guy?"