Ch 28: Mountain Town

Start from the beginning

Ladet gave a gentle nod in acknowledgement. "That is kind of you," he said. She watched his eyes drop to her neck. "How are you feeling?" he asked.

Princess Estina gently touched her throat and gazed back at the fire. "Sore, but at least my voice has returned."

Ladet turned back to the fire as well, and an uncomfortable silence fell between them. She didn't want to remind him of who had caused the bruises, and there was no doubt in her mind, that the identity of the culprit weighed heavily on his thoughts too.

"Tell me about your life in Talbec, Ladet," she said suddenly. "I want to know more about the Empire. I have never been there before."

Ladet turned to face her. "Really?" He paused. "What do you want to know?"

"Everything," she said. "Tell me everything."

<<<>>>

The caravan rocked slowly as Meadow Dreamer climbed higher up the mountain. Unlike the day before, Princess Estina and Ladet did not hide in the hidden compartment. Instead, they took turns sitting at the front with Areen or talking with Marlina in the back.

They passed other travellers who didn't just greet them with a wave. Instead, they stopped to chat and discuss news. The small road was not only a road to travel along, it was also a highway of communication. Princess Estina was both amused and anxious by it. It was clear why Marlina had suggested they use different names.

It was also lovely. She had never experienced such openness from the everyday country folk. Her status as a princess never allowed people to be so casual with her, and when she had been with the mountain men, country folk were more often afraid of them than not.

By mid-morning, the burdened grey clouds began to release snow. Meadow Dreamer remained faithful and continued plodding. He was given treats frequently to keep up his energy levels. Areen stayed true to his nature and kept the conversation to a minimal. After staying awake most of the night, Princess Estina and Ladet soon took refuge in the back of the caravan and slept.

Several hours later, they stopped and Princess Estina stirred. The warmth of the blankets was too appealing. Rubbing her eyes, she rolled onto her back and listened. From the faint light outside, they had slept most of the day away. Ladet was asleep on the bench. She had no idea how he had perched his long body up there. It was ridiculous. It would make common sense to share each other's heat as they had in the hidey hole.

There were voices beyond the caravan, but Princess Estina did not sense anything untoward. Nevertheless, she rose to her feet, shivering at the cold air that immediately hit her body.

She pushed the caravan door open and jumped down, her feet landing with a crunch on the newly formed snow.

They were in a small township set amongst the mountainous wilderness. Several large wooden buildings lined the wide dirt road with puffs of smoke coming out of their chimneys. People walked briskly going about their daily tasks, heads down against the wind and snow. No one paid her any bother. It was quaint and serene. She walked around the side of the caravan to find the others. At the front, Marlina and Areen were talking.

"Where are we?" she asked, swirls of air puffing out of her mouth.

"This is Clopena," Marlina said with a smile. "It's quite lovely, isn't it?"

"Yes, it is," Ladet said, coming up behind her. Princess Estina turned to find him hugging his arms around his body and stifling a yawn.

Turning in a circle, Princess Estina took in more of the scenery. Several smaller roads split off from the main strip, but it wasn't a large town. The forest hung close, tall green pine trees growing behind the buildings as the mountains towered overhead on each side. Down the dirt road, she spied people coming out of what appeared to be an alleyway. They carried bags and buckets of vegetables and fruit. Princess Estina suspected a market, and her stomach rumbled at the thought of food.