Ch 4: Plans

Ladet gazed at the scenery, his body relaxed and his hands gently holding the reins of his horse. Only moments earlier, their large party had been resting their horses by a small creek that wound its way through the forest. It had been over a week since two of the palace scouts, Lady Annalei and himself had joined Princess Estina and the mountain men. After crossing the River Trenia, they were back in the Keglan Kingdom and already, Ladet noticed a change in the scenery and weather. The dark, wet forest stirred memories from his childhood so different they were from the more tropical forests of the Talbecan Empire.

He sensed someone moving up beside him and turned to see Princess Estina nudging her horse to match his pace. She smiled warmly, but Ladet's relaxed disposition immediately turned tense. He was confused on how to interact with Princess Estina and Prince Alain. He was so used to the strict protocols for interacting with the Emperor and his inner circle that he interacted with those above him with confidence and professional ease. But, Princess Estina, despite being royalty, conducted herself and interacted with the mountain men as equals and as her confidants. He also wanted to constantly reprimand himself, for he was always distracted by her beauty.

"Do you know anything of Old Lake Tehlea?" Ladet asked Princess Estina when she didn't say anything.

"Only the bare minimum," Princess Estina responded, giving him a quick glance. "My mother informed me of what it looked like when it was announced I would be betrothed to Old Man Tehlea."

"So, how are you going to take control of it with Old Man Tehlea living there?"

A coy smile came over Princess Estina's mouth. "As you know, I'm a strong believer in controlling my own fate, but sometimes other people can step in and decide things to my liking. Sometimes kind people can have your best interest at heart as well."

Ladet frowned, and Princess Estina laughed.

"I can see your confusion," she said. "Menelt had him murdered for me."

"Oh!" Ladet said surprised. "I guess that will make things easier for you."

"Very much so," Princess Estina agreed, seeming unperturbed by the man's death. "It was quite a smart move, really. He had strong ties to Prince Yernal," she continued. "I only just thought of taking it up as my permanent residence when I considered all the people jostling for power in the capital's court after my father's death. It's a fantastic opportunity for me to take this area of the kingdom and start to build alliances. It's also not too far from Arina Pass and the mountain men's original home."

"And that's close to Gleegan Tower?"

"Not too far away," Princess Estina assured. "About half a day's ride. Apparently, my mother said you can see the two twin peaks from the Tehlea Estate," Princess Estina glanced at him kindly. "We will be able to come up with a plan as soon as we get settled. I have to do this. The Emperor allowed for us to stay in Talbec. They gave us resources, food and horses. He even sent some soldiers to help train me as well."

"I had no idea," Ladet said, shaking his head in amazement. "But that does explain some of the equipment and tents I have seen. I thought they were very similar to the Empire's."

They fell silent again, and Ladet allowed his eyes to wander back over the trees. It was a habit of his to scan the surrounding terrain at regular intervals for hidden bandits who might want to try their luck. Good luck to them, he thought smugly, thinking of the long line of mountain men on horses.

To be honest, Ladet was quite intrigued to see how the Keglans were going to react to Princess Estina's return. For the most part, Princess Estina's large party avoided towns and cities and stocked up on their supplies in villages. Initially, the small populations hurried away and hid, but after much coaxing even the wariest eventually came out. Items were traded and Princess Estina made it her duty to let them know who they were and that their actions were peaceful. Word of mouth, she had told Ladet, was going to hold them in good stead in the future.