Ch 28: Mountain Town

Princess Estina took the silence as a reprieve. Watching the fire would allow for contemplation after such a hectic couple of days. She was edgy, nervous and desperately wanted to relax. She pulled the thick and heavy blanket Marlina had given her up around her shoulders and sipped on another cup of tea. It was just her and Ladet now. Marlina and Areen had disappeared into the back of the caravan. Princess Estina didn't think they were lovers, but they were definitely used to each other's company. This was not the first time they had travelled together. They had a comfortable routine, completing tasks without communicating to each other.

The flames spat and hissed as Ladet gently lobbed another thick log onto the fire. He sat a short distance away, preferring to sit on the ground with his back leaning against the log.

Princess Estina's thoughts strayed to her brother, Prince Alain, and Menelt. She hoped they were safe and were so far eluding Prince Yernal's men. It was a strange feeling being separated after being together for over two years. Only now did she realize how much they were all a part of her everyday life.

The forest was quiet. Princess Estina took a deep breath. The space around them was calm, and yet, her mind continued to race and be on high alert. She bounced her legs up and down in agitation.

"What's wrong?" Ladet asked, his gaze still on the fire.

"Nothing," she responded.

Ladet turned his head to look at her and gave a short chuckle. "I don't believe you. You can't sit still."

Princess Estina looked down at her legs, and sighed. "This is the first time in two years I've been by myself. I'm not with my brother, or Menelt, or Weldlan."

A flicker of emotion danced over Ladet's face and he turned back to the fire. Princess Estina frowned.

"I hope I didn't offend you. You're great company too," she added quickly.

Ladet chuckled. "Don't worry, I'll survive."

"They're family," she said quietly.

Ladet gazed at the flames flickering in the fire, and just as softly, he answered, "I know. I feel lost from my family too."

Princess Estina's shoulders dropped. How insensitive of her. She hadn't once even considered this. Ladet had never spoken about his life back in Talbec or the people he had left behind. She rose to her feet and sat on a log closer to him.

"You were close with the Emperor, Jale and Teal?" she asked. "You haven't seen any of them for a long time.

"Not in the way they were close," he said. "I was never in a relationship with any of them." He turned to face her again, and Princess Estina couldn't help but note the colour of his eyes. They weren't brown like most from the Talbecan Empire. They were a soft hazel instead. She blinked and tried to focus back on his words.

"I've known the Emperor and Jale since I was a child," he said. "After my parents went to their ancestors in the Keglar Kingdom, my cousin Brelen took me in. Eventually, he became a high-ranking soldier for the Emperor, so I ended up growing up in the Emperor's service. They were always kind and took care of me." He shrugged. "I consider them my family, although I don't know if they think of me in the same way."

"I'm sure they do," she said.

A hint of a smile tugged at the ends of his lips before Princess Estina saw the cracks of grief flicker over his face. "It doesn't matter now," he said. "That's all over. The Emperor is dead. All I can do is continue to help Jale, although I have no idea what he will do now."

"As I've always said, you're always welcome to stay with us as long as you need, if you want to that is," she said. Why did her heart speed up when she said that? Was it fear that he would say no? She took another sip of her drink.