Chapter 3

~Kie's pov~

I was used to nightmares.

All of us were.

I started getting them almost every night since our first night on the island. I'd wake up sweaty and breathing heavily almost every night. Sometimes I tried to go back to sleep but most of the time I ended up staying wide awake for the rest of the night.

At first, no one asked questions about why I was always awake before everyone else or why I looked like a walking zombie, as Cleo told her. At least not for the first few days. That changed when JJ woke up one night cause of some damn mosquito that wasn't leaving him alone.

JJ had his own nightmares too but since we got on that slice of paradise, as he called it, he stopped waking up at night even if he didn't sleep too comfortably cause of the sand and mosquitoes but at least he was sleeping for the whole night.

The night he noticed that I wasn't next to the others, I was sitting by some rocks on the beach. I thought that the ocean could relax me but it only reminded me of what happened with JJ on the boat.

When he finally saw me and sit down next to me, we talked about everything that night, we talked about my parents, his injury and even about our surf trip.

After that JJ moved his sleeping spot from next to Cleo to me. We stayed close to each other every night and talked about everything and I finally managed to get more than three hours of sleep without nightmares.

JJ made sure to stay awake and wait until he was sure that I was deep asleep.

Tonight my nightmare was different.

This time I wasn't in the water, holding JJ's lifeless body and screaming for help as loud as I could.

This time I was at my house, cooking with my dad while my mom was watching us like she usually did. We kept laughing about something and talking like nothing ever happened between us.

Like we were a perfect family.

At some point, someone started knocking on the door. I looked behind, trying to see if my parents were gonna get the door but neither of them seemed to hear the knocking apart from me.

I went towards the door but before I could open it, it opened itself, some men in polo shirts, with the Kitty Hawk logo on them, came inside. I looked behind trying to see where my parents are but they weren't anywhere to be seen.

When I turned back at the men they started walking towards me faster than earlier. I tried to run but I couldn't move.

They grabbed my arms, pulling me out of the house and walking towards some van. I kept kicking and yelling but neither of the men let me go, no matter how much I begged them to let me go.

Slowly everything started to become blurry and the man's voice started to sound more and more familiar.

I suddenly snapped out of the dream, waking up and pushing myself off the pillows. I didn't realise where I was or what was going on until instead of someone gripping my arms tightly, I felt a hand on my shoulder, carefully touching me like I was gonna break.

"It's okay" I heard JJ's voice softly. "It was just a bad dream, you're okay"

JJ's voice instantly managed to calm me down a little.

My heart was still racing and I still couldn't steady my breath but I knew I was safe. I still felt like the men were dragging me around and my hands were shaking. It felt like everything just happened again.

I looked around trying to convince myself that I wasn't in another dream.

I saw the white wardrobe that was still empty in the corner of the room, I saw the dark blue curtains, which were pretty much ruined, that were halfway closed so the sun wouldn't wake us up too early in the morning and the clothes I threw earlier on some chair on the other side of the room.