Chapter - 6

Was she mad? But of course, she was. She was here...in Chicago, wasn't she? Riky sat in the coffee shop of her hotel looking out the big window at the fallen snow from last night and the hotel staff clearing out the pathways for guests to walk on.

Tilak had dropped her at the right hotel, without trying to take advantage of her. And she had felt indebted and guilty. She was human after all. And finally she had thanked him. In the correct way.

"Thank you...Tilak," she had said as he had taken out her luggage.

And he had looked a bit strangely towards her.

"You remember my name," he had said and she had heard his astonishment.

She had looked a bit curiously at him then. That was his name right? He had told her at the airport. Tilak Gandhi, he had said. So what if she had been rude, she had heard every word that had left his mouth and for sure she wasn't forgetful. Though half her problems would be solved if that were the case, she had thought. She could then forget the many heartaches that life had dealt her.

"That is your name," she had stated politely.

"Yes," Tilak had answered and then he had grinned, "I am just a bit surprised you remembered," he had told her.

Riky had just nodded. She had felt like smiling. His grin was infectious. And the thought had sobered her almost immediately. She couldn't let her guard down. Men were untrustworthy. But the fact that she had to remind herself of it hadn't sat well with her. And so she had pushed the thought away for later inspection. For just that moment she had blamed it on tiredness. The journey. The people. The emotions she was battling, it had all tired her out.

"Thanks for dropping me," she had said again.

Tilak had smiled at that. And she had noticed much to her chagrin how boyishly charming that smile made him look. He wasn't handsome not in the conventional way but he was a good looking man for sure. And she had immediately berated herself mentally.

"The pleasure was all mine," he had said and then put out his hand for a shake, "goodnight and sleep well," he had said.

Riky had eyed his hand and recalled how he had offered it before at the café where she had met him the first time. She hadn't taken it then but this time she did. She had felt his big hand envelope her dainty one. She had felt his warmth chase away the chills from her cold gloveless hand. But most of all she had felt this undercurrent of awareness. His grip was strong but reassuring, firm but not painful. And she had liked it. It had bothered her in just another second and she had let go of it.

"Are you new to Chicago?" he had asked as he had put his hands back in his pockets.

"I have visited the city before, but it was a while ago," she had replied. She hadn't wanted to let him know she was practically a stranger to the city. But she hadn't been able to stop herself. Even though he had dropped her safely she still didn't trust him.

"Good," he had said as he had scratched his brow with his thumb and then took out his wallet and handed her a card, "I know you are a big girl," he had said with a smile as if expecting her to argue, "and you can take care of yourself, but having a name and a number in a new city can come in handy," he had said extinguishing all protests from her side, "I am booked at a different hotel but not really far," he had added, "if you need any help don't hesitate to call," he had told her as she had read the little piece of stiff paper in her hand, "that's mine, by the way," he had said humorously.

"You do this for every fellow Indian or am I a special case," she had asked a bit rudely and a raised eyebrow.

And he had laughed. Loudly. She had felt her lips twitch despite her reluctance.