[010: SWEET SORROW]

010: sweet sorrow

HIGHSCHOOL.

CALIFORNIA, 2018

GRADUATION DAY

gracie stumbled around the banquet, tripping through the crowds as her eyes discreetly shifted across the well dressed students casted under the party lights - anxiously fluttering from every passing face.

"gracie! you're finally here!" a familiar high-pitched voice exclaimed from behind the numerous teens in front of her.

the sound of paced foot steps followed, and the corner of gracies lips rose.

her eyes grew wide as her gaze found the excited faces of olivia rodrigo and sadie sink bolting towards her - both pushing through the crowds in short dresses, one navy blue and one black.

gracie slightly opened her arms, getting ready for the two girls to sling their arms around her.

"hey." gracie softly laughed as she was finally pulled into a warm embrace by her best friends.

it was something she needed.

the warmth.

the familiarity.

especially after uncovering a panic inducing picture posted on instagram just mere hours ago - and at her own graduation.

suddenly, sadie pulled away, an excited expression forming on her face.

"gracie! wheres your date?" she paused, seemingly trying to gather her thoughts.

"oh yeah!" the red haired girl continued, "julian - where is he!?"

gracie hummed in response, her eyes now shifting to look back at the crowds of jumpy teens and colorful lights surrounding them.

there was no sign of her blonde date who was seemingly very eager to see gracie tonight.

she squinted her eyes, trying to avert her gaze as far as it could go - but ultimately fell to a lost conclusion.