Chapter Thirty-Three

"Hey." Mom voice fills my ears, I stay hidden out of sight but close enough to hear the conversation. "I hope I'm not disturbing your sleep by coming here so late at night."

"No, you're not, ma'am." Darnell assured her. "You don't have to stand outside, do you want to come in?"

"Thank you, but this shouldn't take long." Mom politely declines the offer. "I know that this is a pretty much of a long shot, but have you spoken to or seen Samantha lately?"

"No, I haven't spoken to her since the altercation I had with Spencer the night we found out Corey had left. Is everything okay?"

"The day we found out Corey had left, she had  stormed out the house shortly after you left and nobody has seen her or been able to get in contact with her since."

"I can try getting in contact with her myself and I let you know."

"Thank you. Oh, and Corey wrote everybody a letter before he had left but after all the commotion last night — yours got misplaced, but as soon as I find it I bring it to you."

"Okay, thank you. I know Corey leaving had an impact on everybody so there's no rush, take your time and I hope everything okay with Samantha." Darnell says then after a couple seconds I hear the door close. Walking from out the room I see Darnell walking over to the couch, but before he sits down he grabs one of the pillows and throws it towards me. "You snore when you're asleep."

I catch the pillow and throw it back at him. "I definitely don't."

He laughs as he smacks the pillow before it could hit him. "How would you know? You're sleeping."

That's a fair point but I wasn't going to tell him that. "Anyways." I sit down on the arm of the couch. "Did you open your letter?"

"Yeah, he basically just apologize for letting me come down here and then leaving without saying anything." He explains, when I had stormed out the house two days ago I thought I had just snatched my letter up but I had also grab Darnell letter as well. "Said that he took care of the rent so I don't have to worry about that for a while, but clearly I'm going to have to head back to Nevada eventually."

"To be in a house by yourself?"

"It's kinda the same deal if I stay here." He states, another good point. "Is now the right time to ask why you've been hiding out here for two days?

"Not really."

"So, I missed school for two days to comfort you and you won't even tell me why I was comforting you to begin with. Wow. I'm little hurt."

"One, you did not comfort me."

"I gave up my room for you."

"And slept in Corey's room. It's not like I put you out your room and you had to sleep on the couch. And two, you could have went to school."

He place his hand on his chest and shakes his head. "And leave my guest by herself in her time of need, I just couldn't."

"Don't try and use me as an excuse to ditch school."

Accepting defeat in this little argument he just shakes his head and chuckles. "But seriously, I know you said you don't want to talk about it but sometimes it's best to talk it out to somebody who doesn't have a bias opinion on the matter. Somebody who doesn't have any connections to any of the people you have a problem with."

"So, you?"

"Yeah, me." He pats the space besides him. "I've been told I give good advice, I'm a like a therapist just without the overpricing fees. Come on, come talk to me. I can guaranteed you'll feel better once you do." Reluctantly I sit in the space besides him. "Tell Dr. Hayes, what's going on?"