It was a rare moment of peace.

Only interrupted when Liu'er spoke. A fragile and quite admittance, "I want them to look like you."

"Who?" Wukong lifted a single eyelid, puzzled.

"Our baby." Hands, as light as a feather, cupped the side of Wukong's face. Brushing the King's ears and spurring a little chuckle from the brighter monkey at the ticklish sensation. A small crack in Liu'er hidden insecurities slipping out his next words, "I want them to be normal."

Wukong heart dropped, visibly flinching. "What." He bolted upward into a sitting position, Liu'er slipping downward to sit promptly on his lap with wide eyes. "What do you mean by that?" he barked, snagging Liu'er's wrists. Anger and disbelief swelled behind the King's, softening just a tad when Liu'er looked back, honestly startled.

It didn't take a genius to see the darker monkey's ears flatten a tad shamefully. He avoided Wukong's gaze, leaning back. "You know what I mean."

"No, I don't." Wukong insisted, gripping his chin to force Macaque to look back at him. Tight in his hold, but gentle whenever he held his love within his grasp. Liu'er glanced to the side, eyes hazy and looking smaller than he ever liked to admit. His voice grew softer, a sort of plead, "We've talked about this."

"I know you- that isn't-"

"I want our kid to have your ears." Wukong moved his face closer. H ad he really failed at making Liu'er realize his value- the true beauty his mate had? Nothing in this world compared to Liu'er in Wukong's mind.

As much as he hated it, he never said a word when Liu'er would slip on a glamor to make his six ears look like a simple two, all to hide them from their allies. To hide them from Azure Lion and everyone outside of Flower Fruit Mountain. If it made his mate comfortable, he would support him, clearly. What Sun Wukong couldn't stand; was that when they were together, Mihou still had self doubts about his appearance.

He could see it in his eyes. A self depreciation and hatred to himself. To his ears. B ut it was these very ears that drew Wukong to Macaque the first time they met. It was the start of their story, their love, and he couldn't adore anything more.

"Look at me." he nudged his nose to Mihou's, catching his eyes. Liu'er stared at Wukong, amber eyes vivid and starry. "You listen to me, Mihou." He reached to take the hands of his shadow, sliding up his arms, up his neck, to cup his face. His hands were warm and callused, and his touch made Mihou shiver. Something about Wukong's eyes were steady and gold; they were everything that Wukong was: true and tender, sharp and witty, loving and kind .

"I love your ears."

"Wukong-" the papery wall he had around his deeper thoughts ripping apart. As many times as he tried to put that wall back up, Wukong managed to crash through it with time and time again. Loud and impulsive and wonderful.

He tugged his mate closer, a hand holding Mihou against him. "Each. And. Every. Single. One." He stole a kiss to ever adorably twitching ear, promptly biting the last one.

Liu'er whimpered, a flush to his face. "Knock it off." he gripped, nudging the King back.

"If our baby has your ears- they'll be the most extraordinary monkey alive." Wukong said with certainty. He looked Liu'er in the eye. "And if you dare try to say otherwise, I'll say it again and again until you believe me."

It was times like these, the Liu'er truly believed that Wukong was his. Undeniably, unexplainably, blindingly his. And in return, he was Wukong's. Every inch, every particle, because Wukong wanted it all.