Chapter 2: Maelstrom Brewing

Min's heart skipped a beat as an unexpected turn of events unfolded on an otherwise grey day. The sheer presence of Hyun, seated right next to him, sent a jolt of excitement and nervousness pumping through his veins. It was a rare occurrence for Min to have such proximity to Hyun, who was almost always positioned far beyond his line of sight. Min would often find himself scanning the area, squinting his eyes just to catch a fleeting glimpse of his crush. Hyun's perpetual movement only added to the challenge, appearing in various locations like a dragonfly darting about. Whether he was reluctantly present in the library, indulging in snacks with friends by the canteen, or engrossed in an intense game of basketball, his restlessness was reminiscent of those agile insects Min had watched in nature documentaries during his younger days.

Min had grown accustomed to appreciating Hyun from a distance, making this close encounter all the more unusual and difficult to handle. There had been only one other instance when Min found himself this close to Hyun. It happened two months ago during the peak of soccer fever when Hyun accidentally kicked a ball out of the field amidst preparation. The ball rolled toward Min and Akio, who were engrossed in a heated conversation about mint chocolate, the ghost in the toilets, and even the possibility of the school founder's body being buried beneath the flower bed in the garden. Akio groaned in annoyance as the ball interrupted their passionate debate, prompting Min to pick it up, unknowingly setting a life-altering scene into motion.

As someone approached them at a brisk pace, Min soon realized that he should have heeded Akio's advice. Regret washed over him, growing stronger with each passing second. Finally, after what felt like an eternity, the towering figure reached them—it was Hyun.

Min's entire being froze, rooted to the ground like the flowers in the bed Akio had pointed at minutes ago. He desperately wanted to move, to appear nonchalant in the presence of his one true love, but his efforts fell flat. Hyun stood before him, drenched in sweat from head to toe, evidence of his intense practice sessions in pursuit of the coveted tournament trophy. Despite the cuts and bruises on his legs, he exuded a vibrancy and freshness that surpassed everyone else in the vicinity. Even amidst the rigorous training, Hyun emitted an enticing scent that enveloped Min like a gust of wind, reminiscent of the impact a soccer ball had once made on him in a sensitive region.

"I'm sorry! I hope I didn't interrupt your conversation," Hyun said, his hand nervously grazing the back of his head, a hint of apology gracing his face.

Min longed to assure him that no trouble had been caused, and to express gratitude for the blessing of his mere presence. However, his lips were rendered motionless, failing to release the words trapped within. Observing Hyun in his sleeveless white top and short black shorts, with his toned arms and legs on full display, Min became captivated, lost in a daze. A healthy, rose-pink flush swept across Min's cheeks, unable to conceal the effect Hyun had on him.

Taking the ball from Min's hands, Hyun turned to Akio and asked, "Aki, is your friend ok? His face is quite red."

"Min? Are you alright, bro?"

"...."

"Min? Well, I guess it's just allergies or something."

Hyun chuckled warmly and patted Min's back.

"Take care, Min!"

With that, Hyun jogged back to the field, kicking the soccer with renewed vigor.

As Min and Akio sat on a stone bench beneath the comforting shade of a royal poinciana tree shielding them from the scorching heat, a soothing warmth enveloped Min's entire body. It wasn't the enervating heat from outside the shade that sucked his energy dry but rather a cozy sensation that made him feel at ease and content.