Chapter XXVII

Guys, I passed my exams!!! So I am trying to update more consistently now.

I lost my fight against Uriah, but I am not mad about it. We sparred for almost twenty minutes until he got me into a hold that made me lose consciousness for a few seconds. It was a good fight nonetheless. I sit down with Tris and her friends during dinner. Her score still being the best in the Sim.

"Always when you think it gets better it just gets worse", Christina complains.

"I know. To think that it's been a week...we have to do another week and I can't imagine that it is at its worst just yet."

"True. They will add another element for sure. I have not figured out what it is yet, but I suppose we'll see", Will adds.

"Well, Eric's additional training class is official hell, but it works. I can barely lift the fork", I sigh.

Tris chuckles. "I can feed you dessert if you want."

"You underestimate the length I'd be willing to go for that chocolate cake", I laugh.

~~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning I am up and in the training room at five, doing small stretches, waiting for Eric. My dagger is tightly strapped to my thigh, and his sweater tied around my waist.

The private training room might be smaller, but the equipment was a bit better here. When I finally hear footsteps down the hall, they are not only one pair but at least three. I would probably not be allowed in here and who knows who those people are. So I get up and with silent, hurried footsteps press myself behind one of the heavy metal doors that are anchored to the wall when opened. Through the small gap, I can make out three people as they pass. Eric, Max and Janine. What was the leader of Erudite doing here? It could of course be an official meeting, but why at five in the morning? I slowly move from my spot, peaking around the corner, the trio is disappearing into the room with the milky glass doors. A meeting room of some sort I suppose. I decide to continue my workout in the public gym after a small breakfast. There I meet Edward.

"Morning."

"You're up early."

"The gym is still empty then. You aren't in our dorm anymore. Rumor was you got kicked out."

"Yeah, I am sure Peter hopes so. But no, I just moved into the Dauntless dorm, after what happened at the Chasm the leaders offered that as a way for me to feel safer."

"That is nice, I suppose."
"It is. What is your plan for the workout today?"

"I wanted to go for a run and then repeat the circle from Eric's training yesterday."

"Mind if I join in?"

"Of course not."

Running around the empty streets around the main compound is peaceful this early when the sun is just rising over the horizon, the birds the only sound breaking through the quiet.

I am sweaty after the first two stations of training, and then we move to the pull-ups. Edward is a natural and I am...not.

"Can I help you?", Edward asks.

"Please", I gasp, trying to pull myself up again.

"Okay. We'll go step by step. First, just try to hold yourself up and lower yourself down slowly."

Edward places a box beneath the bar.

I do as he suggests, while he is scouring the boxes at the wall for something. He comes back with a black elastic band, placing it on the bar so it supports my foot. I can actually do a few more pull-ups in these without feeling like I am dying.