Chapter XXIII

People are still talking in the dorms, about the pager, about their fears, about training.

Tris and Christina wave me over.

"You look refreshed", Will states.

"Jealous?"

"Totally", he grins.

"How was it today? ", I ask them, to make sure there are no more questions.

"Okay, I guess. I mean it was horrible and gosh, it took so long and...", Christina starts, Will taking her hand as she closes her eyes.

"Well, another week or so of that."

I look at Al, who is still deadly pale and didn't do so well today, still ranking low. But no one speaks of that.

I learn that Christina has thirteen fears, Al fifteen, Will eleven and Tris doesn't say.

"What about you?", Al asks.

"Seven."

"Seven?!", Al questions, clearly shocked.

"Well, do you wanna smell yourself burning alive?", I question.

He shakes his head rapidly.

"I am gonna try to catch some sleep", I say and move over to my bed, staying in Eric's sweatpants. They were warm and comfy and smelt like him.

The next morning I sleep in as much as possible, possibly because I woke up with a racing heart about five times at night, each time the smell of smoke still in my nose.

The great hall is almost empty again when I make my way down, in Eric's sweatshirt and black jeans. But thankfully there is still hot chocolate and croissants. My pager has not rung yet.

I also found out that the amount of points you get weekly is determined by your ranking and seeing my rank being third, I have enough to get yet another tattoo.

I find Tori, the black-haired tattoo artist because she is the only woman here at the moment.

"How can I help you?", she asks.

"I want a tattoo."

"Obviously."

"It's a quote from a poem...still I rise. On my left rib."

"Ah. Yes. From Maya Angelou."

"Yes. You may write me down in history, with your bitter, twisted lies, you may trod me in the very dirt, but still, like dust, I'll rise", I quote and Tori smiles.

"Very well, do you want to have it done the traditional way or with the pads?"

"The traditional way, please."

"It'll sting."

"I know. "

She leads me into a more private area and tells me to undress. I take a deep breath and pull up my sweatshirt, well Eric's sweatshirt. Tori doesn't comment on my back, the scars that layer each other.

"Does it work with the bra?", I ask, Tori nods.

"Any detailing around it?"

"Maybe something floral? Or stars, but I want stars on my spine sometime."
"Soft florals work with most things and your snake is also delicate with nice detailing, James work I would guess. Our styles match."

"I'll let you do what you think is best."

And Tori does. The quote is a nice cursive, a deep black and slightly bolder than the twig with the cherry blossoms at the end, petals swirling around the quote, finer than the text.

Just as Tori finishes wrapping up, my pager sounds.

"Well, I am off to hell. I know the drill with the tattoo. See you around."

"See you."

My brother waits for me this time.

"Ready?"

"As ready as I'll ever be."

He opens the door and I take my seat on the padded chair. Tobias is just setting the needle down when the door opens again, Eric entering.

"How may I help you, Eric?", my brother scowls.

"Family cannot test family alone", he states.

"And how would you know about that?", Tobias asks, his eyes narrowed, looking at me.

"I actually read the transfer files, Four. And Abnegation transfers are always rare."

"Sure."

The fears do not get easier. The snake one was okay, but the others...I am still embarrassed about the thunderstorm thing. My brother stares at me for a long time.

Eric already knows my fears, he doesn't seem too fazed.

"What's my time?"

"Ten minutes thirty-two seconds. You got better already."

"Alright, see you during dinner."

I collect my friends from around the compound and we go bouldering together until dinner.

And we wait for our results after dinner anxiously. I grin widely when seeing them.

Uriah

Tessa

Peter

Edward

7. Tris

I do not see Tris. Peter's glare is scorching, and so is Molly's. I send them my best smirk and a wink, before leaving to celebrate with my friends at Mama's Bar with a dart tournament. It is late, but I will take Eric up on his promise to shower at his place.

I move through the hallways, towards the bridge leading over the chasm, hearing a commotion. When looking around the corner I see exactly what it is. Four figures trying to push Tris over the edge of the chasm.

"Hey!", I call out, walking forward, grabbing the throwing knife out of my boot, two of the attackers let go of Tris and moving over to me, I recognize them, the way they walk. Peter and Molly. I get into a fighting stance and throw the knife. It hits another one's shoulder, giving Tris time to inch back from the edge. I have moments to readjust my stance and ready myself for the two coming my way. They start grabbing me, at first I can hold them off, get in a few hits, but then Molly gets behind me after ducking underneath my punch and I can only struggle against their pushes. I see Tris doing the same. She has managed to pull the mask off one of the attackers, the one with my knife in his shoulder. Al. The last one I would guess is Drew.

I throw my head back against Molly's face, hearing a crunch as it connects with her nose. She curses. I bite down on the hand covering my mouth.

And then there are two figures approaching when Peter gives me a final push. I slip, laying dangerously close to the edge. The next second someone sits almost atop me, holding my throat and slamming my head against the stone.

"Bye, bye bitch", he states seconds before being thrown off me, but giving me another shove, which sends me over the edge. I grasp the stone tightly, but I can't see, my head is spinning and I start slipping. I would die. I would die right now. I can hold on. I did it before. I could hold...just a little longer. But I am slipping, my fingertips now basically holding my weight.

Bye, bye bitch indeed.

Just as my eyes close hands clasp my wrists, pulling me up, into strong arms. A sob escapes me as I am picked up.

"I can take her", is the last thing I hear, before my head rolls against the warm chest, a shrill shrieking overtaking all other noise.